Denon POA-1500 Stereo Amp

I am going to demo a semi vintage(80's plus)Denon POA-1500(150w/ch) stereo amp this Sunday. Found on C-list($235.00) and it appears from photos to be in excellant condition. I will be using it in conjunction with a Marantz 2252b to power a pair of Klipsch Forte's. I might consider using my Luxman R-115 as the preamp with this amp. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
128x128willland

Showing 2 responses by stanwal

I have not used them but they had a good reputation. The Japanese have always made good sounding products alongside their mass market products but they are often overlooked because of the former. I would get them if they were in good condition.
I can see no reason why the amp would damage the speakers. I have never damaged a speaker with too much power not known anyone in their right mind who did but have known several who damaged them with too little power. Speakers rated at 50 watts can take many times that on peaks. If you refrain from acts like dropping the stylus on the record with the gain turned up all the way or rewinding tape with the gain up or various other things that you would think no one would ever do but I have known done you will be fine. If I were to have a chance at them I would get them to drive a pair of the smallest Epos that are currently being driven by 150 watt monos. I suspect the Klipch will take more power than the Epos.