Denon POA-1500 Stereo Amp

I am going to demo a semi vintage(80's plus)Denon POA-1500(150w/ch) stereo amp this Sunday. Found on C-list($235.00) and it appears from photos to be in excellant condition. I will be using it in conjunction with a Marantz 2252b to power a pair of Klipsch Forte's. I might consider using my Luxman R-115 as the preamp with this amp. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
128x128willland

Showing 2 responses by smata67

Denon made some very nice gear in the early '90s. I have, and continue to use, the PRA-1500 preamp with my Odyssey mono block setup into Thiel CS3.5, as well as a PMA-520 integrated fed with a DCM-777 cd player. The unit in question, POA-1500, has a great deal of cool factor with the oversized meters and is very good quality for mass market. A similar amp would be the Onkyo M-504. The speakers you will be driving are very efficient and do not require the kind of power this amp can put out, but it should be fine. In addition, the Klipsch are forgiving of amp quality and, though they would benefit from better quality amplification available at higher prices, I think you will have a good match there.
Forgot to mention the service manual for this unit is available for $5 from www.free-service-manuals.com.