DENON DL-304. Is it the bargain sound or not?

Hello to everyone!
I leave in Greece and it is the first time to write as a member of Audiogon.
First of all I would like to clarify that I am glad to join with your great company!
I like the “analog” site of music, so I have a couple of questions to do.

My current system is:Preamplifier: Onkyo P-304, Power Amplifier: Onkyo M-504, Loudspeakers: Scandyna Blueroom – Minipods, Subwoofer: Blueroom Bass Station, Turntable: Technics SL-1210 MK2, Cartridge: Denon DL-304. The problem is that the sound is very “bright” when I play music with my turntable. I mean that in many discs, the high frequencies are more aggressive than they should be.
delamostre1

Showing 2 responses by amandarae

Try a 1:36 SUT, unloaded, and tail down on the cart with the manufacturer's recommended VTF. I have been using 304's for 4 years now. I have 65 lbs platter on my Garrard 301 and 55 lbs. platter on my Thorens 124.
The biggest mistake for those loading a cartridge down is to rely on using resistors to load the cart but does not account for the gain. The transformed impedance of the SUT's affects the gain needed for the cartridge to match well. That is the reason why said 1:36 SUT!!! if you have a 1:10(14 db) SUT and you keep on lowering the load down by means of resistors, you are in for a very big disappointment, guaranteed. You can look at it electrically thru analyzing a voltage divider circuit behaving on AC signal. Realize that as soon as the load of the cart equals to that of it's internal impedance, the output it can generate is halved!

But of course, you do not have to worry about that now.