Denon 5800 as preamp in "pure direct" mode?

I am trying to upgrade the two channel audio performance of my home theater. I have purchased a two channel amp (McCormack DNA-2 DLX)to connect to the pre-outs of my Denon 5800 receiver's front left and right speakers (Paradigm Ref. Studio 100's). I am wondering if anyone has an opinion of the Denon as a two channel preamp in the "pure direct" mode? Is this severly degrading signal quality? Would I benefit greatly from adding a proper preamp with a home theater pass through to my system?
emiliop

Showing 1 response by neilejhunt

I have a Denon 5800, and pure-direct mode as an analog preamp is quite bad. The detail is considerably reduced, the highs are rolled off, and there is a bit of hash added to the high end. The internal DAC doesn't suffer the roll-off problem, but the analog inputs do. However, both the internal DAC and the analog inputs have hash added to the high end, which makes listening much less enjoyable.

I added the external amp (Bryston 4BST) to better drive my Maggie 3.6/Rs. It was a nice improvement -- not as "thin" sounding.

I had to go to a separate preamp, though (placette passive pre). The Denon is now totally out of the stereo chain, and is used only for HT.