Denon | 110th Anniversary | Silver-Graphite Headshell and DL103

I want this beautiful headshell with adjustable overhang
... but without DL-103 cartridge :)

I think it can be used with better DL-103D instead. In this video they call it "silver-graphite headshell".

Anyway, this is special 110th Anniversary edition, available on Denon website.

More videos to show product nicely here in english.
... and here in german.

I know we have a lot of Denon fans here on audiogon, what do you think?

I wish they could offer headshell separately in the near future.

128x128chakster

Showing 7 responses by chakster

Old version of the shell is here on Denon DA-303 NHK broadcast tonearm from the 70s.

I believe a new version is pretty much high-end.
I don’t think it’s heavy, the mass given for a DL-103 + Shell. Definitely not plastic like it was over 40 years ago. But the price is too high for a combo, this is why I’d like to buy just headshell, hope after anniversary adition they will make it available separately for realistic price. 

Do you have DL-103D ? @billwojo
So you never tried DL-103D with elliptical tip and higher compliance ? 
I bought this cartridge NOS just for fun, we will see 
I think the new shell is nice for all Denon cartridges, but since the overhang is adjustable it can be used for all cartridges (if a cartridge body is not wider than 103). 
But even this Denon DL-103D is not easy to find nowadays!

I remember some old posts on audiogon about US Denon and their old stock of 103D, but it’s all gone.

It was introduced in 1977 and discontinued about 20 years later. The main feature is flat frequency response up to 65kHz.

Its special elliptical needle made of 0.1 mm square fine solid diamond is even lighter than DL-103S.

The cantilever has a tapered double structure and the damper is softer than classic 103 or 103R, so the compliance is higher (12cu at 100Hz).

*Output voltage is 0.25mV.
*Channel separation is more than 28 dB.
*Impedance is 33Ω.
*Recommended tracking firce is 1.5g (± 0.2g).
*Frequency response is 20-65,000Hz...

Made in Japan by Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd

Not flat or not up to 65kHz?

Each 103 is different in channel output, even new production, this is why Zu Audio divine them in 2 or even 3 grades.

But according to manual only discontinued “D” version can reproduce high frequency up to 65k (because of the elliptical tip), the rest are conical.