DAC to pair with MA6600

Ok, guys... I'm in a state of confusion after reading countless threads and articles written by people much smarter than I.

I recently picked up an MA6600 and need a DAC to pair with it as 100% of my short term music will be digital. I may step into the vinyl game down the line, but it's digital for now. I'm planning on streaming from my imac into the DAC and can figure that out a bit later.

I love the aesthetics of the McIntosh products and I naturally gravitated towards the D100. Although it's entry level priced for their products, I'm having a difficult time justifying 2k for the aesthetic aspect of a DAC.

Does anybody have a selling point that should steer me towards or away from the D100? I won't be using the preamp, so this is exclusively a DAC decision, which has a multitude of competition.

Does this decision really come down to an aesthetic difference or is there something I'm missing? I can easily pick up a Peachtree for over a thousand less...

Just wanted to gain some thoughts from individuals that know much more than I. Oh, and please... the MA6600 isn't going anywhere, so no need to tell me to replace it with a 10k amp.

Thanks,
Brian
big10purdue

Showing 2 responses by big10purdue

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm all for auditioning DACs and doing a blind test in my house... but with a thousand options available, I was looking for advice on what blends well with the 6600. Recent research has me looking at the Arcam irDAC... I would just have to get past the ugly aesthetics and bury it somewhere :).
I have Focal Electra 1007be... the beryllium tweeter can be a bit bright, but I'd rather be on the bright side than too flat. I listen to a ton of jazz, classical, female vocals and classic rock (pink floyd, steely dan, etc). I currently have 14' ceilings, hardwood floors and neighbors to each side, above and below... so I'm all about clarity and not about volume.

I guess I'm looking for the formula that everybody is... how little can i spend while getting the most, but not having to replace it within the next year.

Thanks for your feedback on the Arcam.