DAC’s

Hello, curious on everyone’s thoughts. I’m still building my system. I came across a really good deal on a Meitner MA3 dac. It’s from an authorized dealer and they offered to sell me one NIB for 7k. I have read and read about dacs and I am getting tired. Haha. I really like the Denafrips Terminator 2, Holo and the lumin T3 being the cheapest of them all. Once I factor in a streamer I am already close or over the 7k. Also I don’t need a dac for anything other then just streaming. Thank you 

shtr74sims

Showing 19 responses by jerryg123

I have a 280D $3000.00 and a 680D $10,000.00 and you sure as heck can hear the difference. 

Buy what your ears tell you. 

Do an in home demo and let your ears tell you what to do.

One mans garbage is another mans gold. 

Totally agree with @12many I have 2 DAC's with streaming capability but prefer a separate streamer/server. Using the Innuos Zenith in one system and the Statement in another (separate networks).

Green with envy @richardmathes go toss a can of soup on a painting and glue yourself to a wall.

You know nothing about me or the money I contribute to social issues. And yes I can hear the difference.

I have worked very hard my entire life and paid for 4 kids to go to college and they are productive members of our society,  I am  charitable and paid my taxes. I will spend my money as I see fit.

So what are you pissed because the courts are holding up your Student Loan Debt Relief? That Art History degree not paying the bills? 

I have zero debit how about you?

Jackwagon!

$10,000 for a DAC? Someone’s priorities, i.e., the important ones, the social ones, are out of whack. Never mind that the claim that there is a audible difference of $9700. Or is the $3000 device a piece of crap? Or or we just saying, "I’ve got money to blow?" And little common sense?

Even as practical advice, this is worthless to anyone who lives in a world of budgets.

Have a LessLoss Echo's End R2R with 640X and the LessLoss footers for a demo in my system.

If it works out I will the replace my 280D and gift that to my daughter for her new condo. 

@bigkidz my gear has all that, every component is hand built. LessLoss DAC with x640 not going to need a thing.

@bigkidz why would anyone buy a product that needs modifications. Almost as silly as that Voyger amplifier thread.

OP demo that DAC and you decide. These guys are just polluting your thread. 

Okay if you say so. Sure glad I don’t have any of that mass produced stuff. 

Not buying any of that.

@bigkidz no sale here. No China DAC here either (not a rub they are building some nice DAC’s) . I will keep my 680D and my new toy LessLoss Echo’s End.

You can put a Porsche motor in Volkswagen and guess what it is still a VW. Not a rub on VW. Why would I chuck a factory warranty for some tweaks and unsubstantiated claims.

I am always happy when listening to music.

OP get some home auditions lined up and let your ears decide. 

680D MHP intérieur

Tin ear I do believe. 

Believe me, you will never hear the difference, especially not worth a price differential of 5k, even if you have better hearing than the creature in the movie "A Quiet Place".

@bigkidz Not what I buy show me a LessLoss or a 680D out there on Agon or USAM.

But I do get where you are coming from. Hey if I am NJ I will look you all up. 

Enjoy the music. ✌

@jjss49 I find your post interesting and to the point. I too would not have gone in the many directions I have in the digital realm had it not been for lockdowns.

Started playing and just found that  one could spend a modest amount on a good DAC, Streamer and Cables in be in a really good digital space.

Fry cry from a I Pad and a AQ DAC , but hey that is good enough for some.

My wife cringes when the UPS or FedEX guy/person pulls up, is it tools, toys or audio? She really freaks when it's the DHL guy!

Bottom line it's all about music. 

@nyev I do not use any reclockers. I use separate DAC,s in both my systems. I also run 2 separate networks. 

@nyev no intention of installing any reclockers or power supplies. I use LessLoss Fire Wire 640X on my DACs and digital front ends as well as analog. Also with the LessLoss Echos End DAC there is no need for any digital tomfoolery nor with my 680D. I am not an advocate for external clocks and every one I have tried has a truly made an organic DAC like the LessLoss sound muffled, vailed, like my ex wife biting a pillow. 

Not saying the Phoenix is not helping your sound, it may be showing the shortcomings of your inboard DAC and it’s clocking ⏰ 🕰 

@nyev yes I am aware I have no intention in upgrading. I am not going to chase the dragon, quite content. Also no need for a reclockers in my Zenith with the LessLoss. Played these upgrade games with boats and motorcycles. I am very very happy and no need for upgrades anywhere in my systems. 

One day you will get there. What I lack in youthful exuberance, I make up for with age and treachery. 😈

@nyev Statement is on another system. So, I bought the Phoenix Recklocker and put it on my Zenith with the LessLoss Echo's End, guess I will be selling the Phoenix Recklocker. Did absolutely nothing in the chain with the LessLoss Echo's end. Sure, am glad it was a demo, and I got a good deal. Sounds choked off with this Innuos Phoenix in the chain. Goes to show a great DAC is all thats needed with great USB. May sell the Statement and 680D, buy a Zenith and another LessLoss for upstairs.