DAC recommendations

I am thinking about adding an outboard DAC and using my CAL CL-10 as a transport due to high WAF. I would like to get an appreciable step up from the onboard DACs and would prefer one with balanced output since I am running out of single ended inputs on my pre. Associated components are:
CAL CL-10
BAT VK3i
DNA O.5 Rev. B
Vandersteen 2ci

As always, trying to keep this on a budget (preferably $500 +/- but would consider more if significant increase in performance. I have been considering Muse Model 2, Meitner BiDat among others. CL-10 has ST glass, co-ax and AES/EBU digital outputs. Would prefer HDCD also. Mostly listen to acoustic music and vocalists, with some rock, blues, etc. Any thoughts?
128x128swampwalker
Dekay interesting commentary regarding sonic enhancement of transport depending upon isolation product in use - makes sense though.
Question: does an upgrade AC cord also improve sonics of a standalone transport? I wouldn't think so (stock cord should do the trick?) but I don't know & my CD is one-box so I can't try it myself to find out. Thanks
I have a Cal Labs CLD-10 paired with an EVS Millennium DAC II. Very dynamic, very revealing. Makes music sound REAL.
Forget a dac ,sell any digital source you own and find an Aloia cd player.It is the new reference for playback period.I sat for 3 hours yesterday in utter amazement.I have never been so shocked by a component in my 20 years of audio.It surpassed all other front ends including my 20,000.00 turntable.My reference system is about 150,000 us dollars and I never dreamed a single component could make this much difference.Piano sounds exactly like the instrument with the ability to hear all the harmonics with the right timber.The day before I was listining to my sacd player and thinking this is not at all the way a piano sounds and didn't expect cd could ever sound right.How wrong I was.Don't miss this amazing product.
Audionut,

Where to find the Aloia cd player? How much does it cost? And, have you listened to the Spectral SDR 2000 and SDR 3000 combo. I am very surprised to almost never see mention of this unit. Thanks. Lhegie.