DAC recommendation in 5 to 10K range

I recently get to the point that I want to try a new DAC in $5 to $10K range and would like to know if there are recommendations I should try and audition.

My current DAC is a Denafrips Terminator, to me, Terminator is an overall fun DAC that provide good clarity, energy, and scale. It has strong macrodynamic focus with good impact and punch, as well as solid resolving power and texture, but I feel drawback is lacking micro dynamic capability, tonality is not organic, neither is presentation, treble is not that refined, and can sometimes get too hot and gritty. What I hope in my next DAC is a balanced DAC that lean a bit more toward the relaxed and slightly sweeter smoother side of things, great organicness, great placement accuracy and depth in overall stage, great coherency and liquidity, as well as having great impact and punch.

elan120

Showing 12 responses by elan120

May I ask what you are feeding your terminator?

I have a fanless server sending USB signal to the Terminator. The server is using i9-12900K CPU, and running Audiolinux as OS, HQPlayer as music player, using Taiko DC-ATX and an ULPS (Unregulated Linear Power Supply) as power source, signal output through JCAT XE USB card that is powered by Sean Jacob’s DC4 power supply, the output signal goes into Opto USB transmitter and then to Opto USB receiver, then going into Innous Phoenix reclocker before going into the Terminator, and the USB cable is Sablon 2020.

Have you tried changing filters or convolution with hqPlayer?  I have a Totaldac d1core that I love.  hqPlayer with convolution help to make up for room issues.  I used REW and rePhase with a umik mic.  Definitely not easy, there is a learning curve, but worth the effort.

Yes on filters and modulators, but just now working on learning to use the convolution.  I plan to place an order for an UMIK-1 soon to start playing with REW, so hopefully I can have the same positive result you indicated.  Do you have any reading materials to suggest?

If you can audition a Meitner MA3 try ethernet from the server to the MA3.  Let the MA3 resample to DSD1024 before converting to analog.

This is an interesting direction I have been thinking for a short while by getting a network capable DAC instead, and I may head in this way at some point.  Do you have any experience with this DAC having ethernet input from router/switch instead of server?

I can highly recommend an Audio Research DAC 9.

Thank you, I will check into this DAC.

I have had the Lumin u1 mini, A1, D2, and X1.  If you can find a used Lumin X-1 for under $9k end of the story.  IMO, is the best DAC/Streamer under $19k on the market.  I now have a Lampizator Pacific which costs twice as much as the X1.  To be honest there was not that much difference in SQ. 

I have heard good things about X1, and will see about finding a way to audition.

Of course there are tube DACs too that probably lean more your way, but not sure if you’re open to going that direction.

In fact, I do, Lampizator is on my short list to try and possible Aqua.

@izjjzi , Thank you for your detailed input.  I have direct experience with Holo DAC, but not the May, and I do plan to check it out.

MSB Discrete.

Try the Wyred4sound 10th anniversary dac, one of the most analog sounding dacs on the market at any price.

I have very good inputs from people regarding the higher price MSB DACs, but will look into MSB Discrete DAC as an option.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Not having too much inputs about Wyred4sound 10th anniversary DAC, certainly is an option.  Thank you.

@jgoldrick , Thank you for the two links and your simplified steps.  I didn't know about rePhase, with that, I think I am ready.  I placed the order for UMIK-1 and will see how things go when it is delivered.

OP,

I can understand wanting to go to a balanced output DAC,  but I have to ask what the DAC is plugged into?  Maybe your upgrade lies in the pre-amp? 

Regards,

barts

The output of the DAC goes into an Integrated amp, a Luxman L509X.

@metaldetektor , Thank you for the suggestion, and I have heard good inputs from many sources about Mola Mola Tambaqui, check into used market is a good idea.

Wow...lots of good suggestions.  I don't think I can audition them all, but certainly will check into them further.

@gkr7007 , I do have a limitation in shelf height, the maximum height I can arrange is around 22cm or 8.5 inches, in talking to Lukasz, he suggest I look into an Amber 4 with "hot-rodded" tube section, that will perform very close to a Baltic 3, and this will likely be the one I will try if I end up heading this direction.

Meanwhile, T+A is very high on my list also.