DAC/Headphone Amp For Sennheiser 650's

Folks:

I could use some input here. A good friend who is also a musician has bought a pair of Sennheiser 650's and would like a DAC/Headphone amp to partner with. He likes a very warm and musical sound--not a detail freak but rather likes instruments and voices to sound very natural. Budget is under $1K new but would like to pick something up for $500 on the used market if possible.

Thanks!
dodgealum

Showing 2 responses by jedinite24

Hi Dodgealum

In the sub $500 category I say look at the Grant Fidelity DAC-11 for your 650s. I enjoyed my Sennheiser headphones with Grant Fidelity DAC-09 with a Western Electric 396A tube in place of the stock one.

From other people I've spoke too they liked pairing the Schiit Bifrost DAC and the Schiit Valhalla headphone amp with their Sennheisers. That combo new is under $1K. In the used market you can grab Schiit Audio gear for a lot cheaper.
Hi Metro04

I have AKG 701's also and I enjoyed them with the Schiit Audio Valhalla tube headphone amp.

One budget tube headphone amp that I think you should proceed with caution with are the Indeed Headphone amps that use a single 12AU7 type tube. In my work set-up where a laptop is the main source they are a bit noisy no matter tube I've used. It may just be the set-up at work but still it isn't dead quiet.