Critical listening and altered states

Ok, this is not a question about relaxing, but about listening to evaluate how the system (or a piece of gear is sounding).

What, in your experience, are the pluses and minuses of altering your state of mind for listening? This can include anything you've used to affect your everyday state of mind, from coffee, beer, scotch, tobacco, to much stronger — and psychoactive, dissociative — additives.

What do you gain by altering your consciousness in terms of what you notice, attend to, linger on, etc?
What causes more details to emerge?
What allows you to stick with a thread or, alternately, make new connections?

Or perhaps you like to keep all those things *out* of your listening; if that's you, please say a bit about why.

128x128hilde45
This is the flip-side of 'cables that measure the same but seem to sound different'.  Please see my post there.

Most posters here seem to agree that perception of sound can affect the way we hear.

I REST MY CASE.
In bumbling feeble attempt to answer the original question...

For true critical listening I believe that completely sober is the way to go.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way, I also believe that a little buzz can add enjoyment to the experience.  And I have heard things that I didn't notice in a sober state.  I attempt to take note and at some later
sober date see if it sounds the same as buzzed.

BTW I'm chuckling at myself as I type "buzz" and "sober" because I only alter my states in a very minor enjoyable way.  The days of getting blasted and listening to music are far behind me now.

Regards,
barts 
Tell me about it when you try and flip the record, fumble, and then have to decide if you should raid the 529 account or not.  I tease.    

That said, listening in altered states takes the gear not just to another level, but a whole new perspective, and increases the joy of not just the equipment, but the music, the lyrics, and reflections on life in general.  Also, when you want to buckle down in life, rediscovering certain sounds and music in complete sobriety can also be cathartic.    
Post removed 
Post removed