Creek CD43 v. Linn Genki v. Cairn Fog v. Cary 308

possible throw in the Theta miles

System:Stan Warren Modded Pio F727 - ASL 1003DT - VMPS 626Rw/FST
Music: Mostly Rock, some jazz and others

I have read about all I can about these players. I was set on the Creek CD43 mkII but the thing is impossible to snatch up used. The only player I have heard is the cary. It was nice but I would like a little more emotion in the highs. Its PRAT seems to come from the bottom end.

What Im looking for is great PRAT, yet still being a detailed player and having some warmth and a emotion in the highs and mids. Looking for a lively player.

What do you guys think of these players, I would like to know more details on the fog. I find very mixed views on the Genki. The Cary is pretty good, but I feel like Im settling a bit. I know Im looking at around a $900 max budget but hopefully I can find what Im looking for. Any advice or input?
greg_p

Showing 1 response by crega

I can only respond to the Creek CD43. I am one of those people looking for that unit too. Darn hard to find used, wonder why:) I had a Rega Planet 2000 and was going to upgrade. Some of the CDPs that I listened to were the Creek CD43, CD53, Arcam 73 and Rega Jupiter 2000. While I use to have a Creek 5350SE, I never bothered to listen to the Creek CDPs before I bought the Planet 2000. I was really surprised how much better the CD43 was compared to the Planet 2000 for the same price. Had I listened to it before buying the Planet, I don't think that I would have upgraded any time soon. Having said that, the CD43 and CD53 as well as the Arcam did not sound as good as the Rega Jupiter 2000 which I bought and still happily own. Just a quick plug for the Jupiter: Very musical, Fairly detailed, Great rhythm and pace, and Flat out fun to listen to for extended periods of time. I am still looking for a CD43 for around $500-600 for a bedroom system in case anyone has one for sale.