Creek 5350SE vs Rega Mira 3

I know this is all subjective, but. I'm looking to replace the system I just left my ex. I'm looking at somthing like the Rega Mira 3, either the Saturn or Apollo, a TT, and maybe some ProAc stand monitors. I like the idea the Rega has a phono input in it already. How does the Creek compare?

Maybe it would be easier to ask what can I get for under 9K? I say 9K because if I say 10K, it will be 9.9K... Smallish room, looking for CDP, TT, maybe a tuner, and 2 smallish but good speakers.
128x12804rdking

Showing 2 responses by rar1

Before buying a new system ... any chance of you two getting back together? It was almost 20 years ago, but a breakup was how I went from a Pioneer receiver with EPI speakers to Adcom separates and KEF speakers.

If you are intent on spending $9K, go out and listen to stuff. Indulge yourself. Purchase as high quality as you can afford, no one is around to comment or criticize. These opportunities don't happen all that often.

Regards, Rich
The Prologue 2 is a great piece to start with. I have been using one for three years now very happily. The stock tubes are good, but the sound can be bettered with some tube rolling. Svetlana Winged C KT-88, Electro-Harmonix 6550, Svetlana Winged C EL-34, NOS Mullard 12AX7, NOS Sylvania 12AU7 will all do nicely.

I have used the PL2 with a number of speakers in both smaller and larger rooms. Some equipment that I can recommend:

Speakers
Rega R1 (monitors) - currently used with PL2
NHT SB3 (monitors)
Omega Super 3 (monitors)
Opera Platea (small floorstanders) - currently used with PL5

CD players
Rega Apollo - currently used with PL2
Music Hall CD25
Musical Fidelity A3.2 (now the A5) - currently used with the PL5

The PL2 runs hot, so it will need some room to breath. Other than that it is a very fuss free piece to own.

Regards, Rich