Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
Im sticking with good old red book,newer cd player of late have outstanding sound,I not even going to get into sacd etc.Forget it I am way done.I mean five different copies of this 2 of that one ,no thanks.Just stick with the brands that have been there for a while,they have had good sound in the past and will do so in the future.Oh thats right after records first came out what did they sound like say 20 or 30 years after their intro,last time I checked they are still getting better and so is digital ,including red book,Al
Coffeey, were you speaking to yourself or us? ; )

Anyway, fine. *If* and only if you like Classical and classic rock and jazz, SACD is a pretty safe bet now. Word on the street is that it has established itself as the prefered audiophile format. If you're an Emimem kinda dude, (nothing wrong with that), stay with your redbook. Dual disc is coming, was coming, which got the DVDA crowd all excited, yet producers can use the real estate on the disc any way they want, and DVDA may be pushed to the wayside. The CD side can only hold 58 minutes.

The problem with what you say is that "redbook" is getting better. It *cannot* get better, as its information is limited. Recording machines have gotten better and better over the last 20 years, yet the improvements can only barely be reflected in the good 'ole redbook CD. Ironically, the better your system, the more it's going to reveal the deficiencies of the 16bit. In any case, as much as my SACD player leaves me beyond criticism, I'm still keeping an eye out for mid-fi redbook only player next year--850 of them are collecting dust in the closet.
Trying to speak to everybody,58 minutes so whatMaybe redbook can only go so far but does that explain why plain old cd players have been soundimg better lately,Last thing i need is to make somebody else rich by buying a new format.Its not the technology it is what you do with it.
Here we go again....it never ends.

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=258&Thread=9821&Type=3