Convert VTL from 807's to 6L6GC or ???

Apparently my VTL MB-150 mono amps produce a screen voltage of 500V. My tube tech told me that the max rating on the installed 807 tubes is only 300V. If this is true, then the basic design is overstressing my 807's. My tube tech suggested that I have him replace the tube sockets to allow me to use 6L6GC tubes because they are better designed to withstand the higher screen voltages. According to the tube tech, the socket conversion is basically all I need to do. Is this true, or would more extensive mods be required to successfully complete this conversion?
jeromeostrowiecki0d27
The 807 is a very tough tube. Get a copy of the GE Essential Characteristics tube book from Antique Electronics Supply ( or other tube literature ) and look at the 807. There are lots of wonderful new old stock 807's available at good prices. VTL used the 807 because it is a very rugged reliable tube. Your local tube tech may not be familiar with it. It has an anode cap. This should tell you something about what kind of plate voltages this tube is made to handle. Drop a line to Luke Manley at VTL and ask him. Ask him if he thinks 6L6GC is the way to go.
LISTEN TO THE ADVICE THAT RFAUDIO GAVE IT IS GREAT ADVICE. ALWAYS ASK THE MANUFACTURE. YOU MAYNOT LIKE THE ANSWER BUT YOUR EQUIPMENT WILL PROBABLY LAST A LOT LONGER.