Conrad-Johnson Discolored (rusty?) Allen screws on side of MF-2550.

I just bought a used CJ MF-2550 a short time ago and it's been working perfectly. Today I was just checking the routing of my cables with a flashlight and I accidentally noticed that there are Allen (hex) screws on either side of the amp, between the cooling fins. There are also regular Philips screws. The question is that the Philips screws all look completely normal, but some of the Allen screws are discolored and may be rusty.

Would you think I should just leave well enough alone since the amp is working OK or should the discolored Allen screws be replaced? I'd be hesitant to do the replacement myself, in case any of them broke off and left inner components unsupported. Any advice would be appreciated. A link to a photo I just took follows.

https://i.imgur.com/rJnfyZs.jpg
rff000

Showing 1 response by oldhvymec

OP a little dab will do you. Put a little light oil like 3 in one or lighter WD40 on a soft fiber or even brass bristle tooth brush size brush. Gently brush the heads of the cap bolts. Just get them wet.. Leave it alone. Let it set for 20 min or so.. Two or three swipes two or three times.. They will look like new AND be ready to remove it you want to do so..

It's not the space shuttle..

LOL BUT that is how you would work on it too :-)

Wipe off any excess with Isopropyl. Touch up the heads with a permanent marker, touch up paint or nail polish..

Regards