Conrad Johnson Classic 120se vs. Cary Audio Design CAD120 MKII?

Hi All -

I'm looking to purchase an American made tube power amplifier of at least 100 watts. Looking to purchase new as I'm keen on a warranty. If I do have issues, I'd really like to be able to have a US-based manufacturer be able to address any repairs issues. 

Not interested in mono-blocks due to space constraints and my wife's aversion to more stuff in the living room. 

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Conrad Johnson Classic 120se. 

I have, however, realized that Cary Audio makes a 120 watt tube amp that is about half the price of the Conrad Johnson 120SE model I'm ready to purchase. 

My question to you: 

Does anyone have familiarity with these two models? In terms of sound quality, is the Conrad Johnson worth the extra cost? In terms of reliability, can anyone share their experience with these two brands? Is there a difference in house sound? 

I terms of my own preferences, I'm looking for air, openness, warmth and an holographic sound. 

I really appreciate your feedback! 

My gear: 

Cardas clear power and speaker cables 
Puritan 136 purifier 
Innuous ZENith music server 
Merason DAC1 
Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL preamp 
Currently using a Audio Hungary 100 Watt tube power amp 

Fingers crossed someone can provide perspective on Conrad Johnson vs. Cary Audio 

bluethinker66

Showing 4 responses by bluethinker66

@ghdprentice - Thank you for your reply. If you are able to offer historical perspective on the house sounds of either Cary or CJ, I'd welcome learning from you! 

@ozzy62 - I'd love to hear your perspective on the modern CJ sound. Likewise, I'm curious about the Cary sound is too. I don't have any dealers where I live (Portland, Oregon), so I've not yet had the opportunity to hear either of them in person. 

@decooney - Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate your guidance. 

@mjcmt - Hi! I'd consider the Rogue Audio 100. Have you had experience with that particular amp? If so, I'd love to hear your POV on its merits. 

@cellorover - Thank you for your reply. 

I have QLN Prestige Three speakers (8 ohms, 87.5 sensitivity). My room is large - it's a combination of a dining room, kitchen, living room - modern open layout. The ceilings are high, as well. 

I also have the Innuous Zenith, Merason DAC1 and LTA microzotl preamp. I've been using a 100 watt Audio Hungary tube amp, which has produced fantastic sound with the other components. Given the large space, I feel anything less than 100 watts just might not be enough... 

I realized I actually liked my own system more than the Pass Labs xa160.8 amps I demoed a few weeks back. I am, however, keen to have a US-based tube product to more easily deal with repairs, hence my desire to purchase the CJ or Cary tube power amp. 

I'd welcome your thoughts and advice! 

@decooney - I demoed the xa160.8 amps in downtown Portland at one of the local hifi stores. I'm not sure how long they had the amps on prior to actual demo. Maybe 24 or less would be my guess... In terms of my impression, I just didn't hear much air or spaciousness, which was a big surprise. Compared to my own set-up, they just sounded sort of pedestrian. I mean, they sounded "very good," but I would not feel compelled to purchase them given their price tag relative to other offerings. 

As for my own space, there is lots of reflective surfaces - wood floors, bare walls, a large set of sliding doors on one of the walls. It's a clean and modern aesthetic. We don't want to do any acoustic treatments, however... In terms of sound, our preference is on the warm/smoothed over side. My wife is sensitive to sound, so anything remotely bright immediately sets her off, unfortunately. 

@cellorover - I'm happy to hear you feel the CJ is a solid bet. And thank you for the Atmasphere suggestion. Folks seem to hold that company in high regard!