Confessions from a VPI owner of some 30 years

I would like to start with a humble apology to the OP of a thread I recently (overtook) for personal reasons. smrex13, I apologize to you and hope your audio journey going forward is joyous!

To donvito101, I made my remarks personal and for this I apologize.

I checked for remarks from yesterday on the "VPI Prime noise issues" (2 threads, why, I don't know) . I still find it odd that VPI did not remark on smrex13' original thread, only to his last thread that ended, "not VPI's fault".

I've had a couple of issues since purchasing my VPI Classic 3 SE Sig. one year ago. I sent, (through my dealer), an initial question about the arm tower's operation on Feb 2016. I was told it would be forwarded to VPI. As of today, I've not received one comment.

I've recently, in the past 3 months, had a vibration issue through the 3D arm when the SDS is set at 33rpm. It is not noticeable at 45 rpm. I feel it through the finger lift.

I've tried oiling the motor, cleaning the belt & new talcum, the spindle bearing is just like recommended with the proper grease etc...

I relayed all of this through my dealer who asked for pictures and I sent them. This was two weeks ago. As of today, not one word. Because of my last question through my dealer in Feb w/ no response, I'm a little weary.

OK. So, my position is.... I should go through the proper channels. The dealer, right? VPI has their sales set up through a dealer network. This, I assume, is to take a burden off of them so they can be focused on manufacturing?

We/I/ you, pay a premium for this? I assume it's around 100% added to the actual cost of manufacturing. So, if I have an issue, I should follow the way VPI has their dealer network set up and take my concerns to the dealer. If this is not the way things should work, why then, doesn't VPI just sell directly? We/me/the end user could save BIG BUCKS.

That's pretty much the whole issue. I have no idea why VPI does not want to make any effort to settle this issue.

Cheers!

128x128slaw
Sir:  VPI management doesn't care about your problems, they do care about the money.....And they already have that....I own at least 6-7 VPI turntables, so when I need a part I just take it off of one of my parts turntables........Its not the best way , but its so much easier that dealing with Harry's kids.....Its beginning to look like Audio Research is going that way also......Its too bad , because we have (USA) have made some wonderful equipment.......autospec
For what it's worth, I have the same table and had some issues myself, but I reached out to VPI directly and had a great experience. It culminated with Mat calling me personally and giving me his number if the problem didn't resolve itself with the tweaks he recommended. (Basically it was a speed stability issue that I think was more related to the shitty power in my building.) I would reach out to them, and their forum is very active. 
I use to talk to Harry fairly often and he was always helpful. All of us are getting older. Some a LOT older! I met them at about the first Audio show they attended. The old Chicago CES I think. I can remember installing one of the caps you mentioned. The tables sounded better with brass feet, I used the Star Sound ones. It was just screw off screw on. It wasn't practical to use something like this on the table as every $1 you add to the manufacturing cost add $10 to the retail after it goes through the whole distribution chain. Believe me VPI was one of the best at service in my day. There were some who would not answer their phones even for their dealers. In one case I had to call a friend of theirs and HE would call them and they would get back to me when they had the time. The gods of HIFI got them and their factory was destroyed in the San Fransco Earth Quake, Not the 1908 one fool, the one during the World Series! Just remember that HIFI is a small busness. Around 12 years ago there was ONE VPI dealer for the whole Louisville, Ky area and he sold out of his house. A lot of dealers do it out of love of the hobby. Very few make much money out of audio. If you think dealers are a pain try being one, it is worse!
In many cases the dealer network is self selected, The usual rep is worse than useless. Sometimes you simply have to go around them entirly. In one case I wanted to handle a product but since his dealer buddy did not want it he wouldn't sell it to me. I called the importer and ordered some from him. He got rid of the rep. If you pay cash and know your stuff YOU  can be a dealer. That is the way I started in the 60s.