concrete vs. wood listening room

Since concrete is "dead" would I still need spikes to control resonance? What would my optimum set up be?

Room...concrete floor covered with thick carpet. Concrete walls covered with sheet rock.

System...tsm/mm`s, AA prima mk1 int. amp, cdp (undecided), wires (undecided).

Thanks,

Dick
capt369

Showing 5 responses by capt369

Thanks Newbee and chazzbo. Yes, I`ll play with room treatments when the time comes. My primary concern is the non dissipation of excess energy and the resulting sound and the best ways to deal with this issue.
Hi Pardales,

We`ve exchanged e-mails in the past where you gave me excellent advice on purchasing used, modded electronics. I`d concider panneling the listening room even tho it`s a rental.

My primary concern is that speakers on spikes and electronics on spiked platforms would not be able to dissipate excess energy enough when coupled to a concrete deck. Moving is not an option as I`m tied in with a lease. Any ideas?

Dick
update....just talked to Bobby P. of merlin fame and he loves concrete coupled with some proper room tuning. :)
Chazzbo, I have Hartley`s book and will go back and read the section on room treatments. It`s been quite a while since I`ve looked through his book, and in fact, forgot that I had it. Sheesh. Thanks for the reminder.

Martykl, I too have two concrete walls, and by your suggestion, I`ll heavily damp them and then subtract accordingly. I have further issues in that it`s an L shaped room (living room and dining room).

Thank you both for your input.

For instance, in my setup one speaker is positioned at the break of the L and so it sees no side wall at all. What I did was make some simple absorption treatments for the opposite side wall so that the other speaker almost sees no wall at all. This has worked very well for me

Dan, thanks for your input. I`ll try this positioning first.