Complete vinyl system, TT to speakers, for $1500?

We just returned from a 2-week visit to our son who lives in Tokyo.  While there, we met a nice young woman who told me she would like to acquire an audio system with the express intent of playing LPs in her apartment.  Her budget is $1500 or less, as noted.  It's been years since I ever had to think in such budget terms, and when I did think about a $1500 system, it was back in the 70s when you could really buy something decent for that total amount.  (You could also buy a car for only a little bit more.) So, I am here for advice; she needs TT, tonearm, cartridge, phono stage, amplifier, and speakers. Thanks.

lewm

Showing 1 response by sejodiren

Here’s a system I own and it sounds stellar. Being a musician, I know what music should sound like. Orbit w/Grado Black-$450. Proton D540 integrated amp (high current. 6db of headroom. Sister company to NAD back in the mid ’80’s) $159. Dahlquist DQ10 $375 Found the 10's on FB Marketplace!!! Mint and one owner.. I also have an older JVC CD player....$5 at a garage sale. That’s under 1K and I’d put it up against any $5K system of today. But not feasible for a tiny apartment in Japan. But it can be done.