Complete vinyl system, TT to speakers, for $1500?

We just returned from a 2-week visit to our son who lives in Tokyo.  While there, we met a nice young woman who told me she would like to acquire an audio system with the express intent of playing LPs in her apartment.  Her budget is $1500 or less, as noted.  It's been years since I ever had to think in such budget terms, and when I did think about a $1500 system, it was back in the 70s when you could really buy something decent for that total amount.  (You could also buy a car for only a little bit more.) So, I am here for advice; she needs TT, tonearm, cartridge, phono stage, amplifier, and speakers. Thanks.

lewm

Showing 2 responses by rar1

Go with a TT and powered speakers. See which brands are available from where she would be most likely to shop and go from there.  Different electrical standards to consider as well.  

I would think that something like an Audio Technica 120 would be available or the equivalent from Pioneer or Yamaha or Denon some other respected brand.

Same for the powered speakers.

This should not be so hard, essentially a starter system for a studio apartment. I had a similarly small apartment 20 years ago in London and did exceedingly well with a CD boombox (no kidding) for the one or so years I was there. Tucked in a bookshelf nook, I got pleasing sound reinforcement. Small spaces don’t require 3/4 of the audio niceties that are deemed so critical in our hobby.

Rich

HI Lewm -

The TT should have a built in phono preamp (like the Audio Technics 120 and any number of other TT's).

The TT would be a line input to the powered speakers, so the power output of the amplifiers (most likely Class D) inside the speakers would determine how loud it would play.  

Don't let the relative inexpensive price tag throw you.  These powered speakers/ TT systems sound pretty decent for what they are.  

Rich