Coincident Linestage vs CJ CT5 or Allnic L-3000

I currently own a Conrad Johnson CT5 but would like to upgrade and move to a preamp with XLR in/out. I have tested the Allnic L-3000 which I find very intersting, and I am also interested in the Coincident Statement linestage. Has anybody compared the Coincident to the CT5 or the Allnic?
obrennan1963

Showing 7 responses by obrennan1963

Thanks Lissnr and Jwm for the input on the Dude. I have also read about it and it seems to be quite a performer. Jwm I was wondering: what were the reasons that made you prefer Coincident?
thanks for the information guys. That's very useful. I am also under the impression that it is a fully balanced preamp. But I'll check with Israel. With regards to amps I'll be using Quicksilver V4 tube monoblocks for now and my source is a DCS Puccini.

What about bass presence?
Still haven't made my final choice. I had put money aside to buy the preamp but got an oportunity to replace my Quicksilver V4 by Nagra VPA amps and I simply couldn't pass. So it slowed things down a bit with regards to the preamp purchase. As soon as there's development I'll share my info and learning to you guys!
Hi guys. Here's an update. I hesitated for a while as nobody in my network had one and I couldn't really hear it beforehand. I had however heard their 300B amps and I really like it. I was also interested in the TRL Dude but could hear it neither. So I finally decided to make the move and buy the Coincident (cheaper than the Dude, and built in Canada, which is more convenient for me). Maybe the best decision I made in the audio field. Reviews were so positive that it seemed too good to be true. But I have to say that it lives up to all of the expectations reviews and forums created. By far the most transparent component that I have heard. It brought my system to another level. And it beats the Conrad Johnson (which was already very transparent) and the Allnic L3000 flat out in terms of transparency and musicality (even if I still consider that those two preamps cost more new)! Now the music floats in the room, and the musicians are with me. I still hold the CT5 and L3000 in high regard... but I now consider that the reviewers that said that it's a best in class, best buy preamp are most probably right.

The only minus I see, apart from the absence of a remote and the limited number of inputs, is the fact that even if the preamp look really nice, you can notice minor finish flaws. Specifically, when you look at it closely or if you slide your fingers along the edges of the metal sheets that are assembled to constitue the body of the preamp you'll notice that they are rougher in some areas. The metal cutting and finishing process used may not be as elaborate as other products. However, considering the absolutely superb performance, which i would expect from a component three or four time more costly, I still think that this preamp is a steal for the price and that the finsh flaws are minor.

Gotta go now. I can't be aways from my system for more than half a hour at a time!
Charles1dad & Bfr

Charles I agree with your comments re. quality of electronic parts and finish. A friend of mine who's much more knowledgeable than me had a peek inside the linestage and found the design brilliant, well executed and rugged. All in all, I am amazed that Coincident is able to manufacture a component of such outstanding performance in that price range. I agree with Bfr that cosmetics should be flawless, but I would never let the minor flaws that I noticed stop me from buying it again though.

I forgot to mention that right out of the box the Coincident was already clearly better than the Allnic and the CT5. Once it will be broken in I anticipate that the performance gap will even widen. So I agree with your Charles1dad, I think that I will just love it more and more!
Browsnfan, have you finally a move to buy the CSL. If not, keep us posted. I'll be curious to hear about your own experience. On my side I am still as excited as I was on the first day!
Thanks for the update Brownsfan. I agree with Charlesdad comments: your CSL will continue to improve as you use it. Mine has been used for about 300 hours and I can see a significant difference. It sound even more natural, musical than before. Believe me, what you're experiencing is just the beginning of the love story! Personally I now consider it the heart of my system!