Coax SP/DIF to USB..thoughts?

I now have a DAC ( I like this DAC a lot, so it is not getting replaced) that only uses a CoAx input and does not have the ability to input USB. Many streamers seem to utilize just USB as their output. There are a few USB to SP/DIF cable converters out there, but I have not heard any of these cables, nor do i know anyone who has. For those who have heard this type of conversion, is this a good way to go? 

Personally, i prefer the SQ of a CoAx cable to most all of the USB cables i have heard. Thoughts?

128x128daveyf

Showing 2 responses by treynolds155

@daveyf 

I'd try an Aurender UC100 converter, at $700 it's not cheap but you may be able to get one used. I use their UT100 usb to fiber converter and it works just great. 

I'm not going to argue the pros or cons of USB sound quality, I just don't like it due to it losing connections between equipment if I jump around tracks too quickly. Every other SP/Diff connection I use simply locks onto the signal.

Best of luck and enjoy that DAC.

@daveyf I don't know how universal this is but I think it will work with most streamers that have a usb output. I've used my UT100 on a MacMini M1 without any issue at all. Windows would probably need a driver which could be an issue but I think a streamer would just see these devices as a DAC.