Classical Top Five

If most will concede Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, and Brahms as " the given" top 4, who would you choose as number 5? 
jpwarren58
Chopin. No symphonies (that I know of), but two great concertos and endless piano pieces. 
Post removed 
Who did everything well? For my money Mozart and Haydn were the only two who wrote well no matter the genre whether it was chamber, orchestral, opera, church music etc. Haydn's opera's aren't well known as they were written for Esterhazy rather than the stages of Vienna. Bach is Bach, no opera's but I have to say the oratorios and the 200+ cantata's probably make up for it. Music for theatre or stage is where Beethoven and Schubert come up short for me, but I love them just the same. Surprised at no mention of Berlioz or better still, Purcell. Good call on Monteverdi, whoever it was who added him.
I rank composers and other artists strictly on subjective, not objective criteria. I don't care how influential, prolific or technically adept they might be.  Do they penetrate past your intellect? Do they find and occupy the core of your being? Do they deliver the goods?