Classic Records 200g Quiex Vinyl - Who's Next

Has anyone else bought this record? I bought it about a month ago, and frankly, I'm not impressed with the sound quality. It sounds dull. I can think of many words to describe "Who's Next", but dull was never one of them.
Roger Daltrey sounds like he's singing from my basement during "Baba O'Reilly". "Bargain" is a little better. The drums sound very one-dimensional, though. The guitars on "Love Ain't for Keeping" sound really nice, but "My Wife" is a disaster. It sounds terrible in every aspect. "Song is Over" sounds ok, but I feel like I have to keep turning the volume up just to hear what I know is in those grooves, but can't seem to find when I'm listening.
Side 2 is just more of the same. Dull and lifeless. Tell me something is wrong with my pressing, please!

Cheers.
tfkaudio

Showing 6 responses by tagyerit

never had access to an orig uk of whos next, but outside of that I've owned every remaster on vinyl and on my system the current classic is by far the BEST of them all. also, my experience is that the mca hvy from around 1996? was better then the expanded uni from more recently. i have them all and have a/b'd them a lot. but maybe it is "system dependent" to some degree or maybe my vpi letting me adjust the vta while listening is making the difference for me, but with my gear thats the facts.
I agree that usually a good early pressing will smoke a remaster (my wlp of 'if i could only remember my name' slays the classic 35 rpm(yet the classic 45 rpm is neck and neck with my old standby, not AS fresh sounding but better in some ways). i would not trade my 1st uk pressings of 'traffic', cat stevens stuff, tull 'stand up', karajan beethoven 62-33 etc BUT these can be very hard to come by, and on many pressings Classic does an incredible job. the 45 rpm Louis 'st james infirmary' is actually better than then original pressing by 'audio fidelity' made in the 50's. so is beethoven's vln concerto (heiffetz/munch) and zep I is a revelation compared to any earlier u.s. pressing.
exceptions abound, but my experience is the opposite of some of what 42659 has had. Johnny, have you heard the 200 g classic in question?
tfkaudio, I think you got a bum copy.
i just opened copies of classic 200 g "born to run" and it is way better then my wlp first pressing. also got neil young's 'prarie wind' and it is un believably fine. (obviously it aint a remaster). btw the classic pressing of neil young's g.h. makes early pressings of his lps sound terrible by comparison (and I have some pretty good ones -promos abscounded by engineers and such). anyway, good luck!
yea, just played a 4 men with beards version of 'dusty in memphis' and was floored!
I remembered something about a reported problem with the 1st 200 g sqv classic pressing of who's next. did some searching and found what failed to paste here as a link, but you can at least cut & paste it and go to it:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/printthread.php?t=55439

besides the controversy it is interesting to note one poster preferring the classic to the orig uk track as follows
"I bought a second-pressing a few weeks ago. I haven't heard a first pressing (the Classic, that is), but I read all about the pressing problems many of you encountered. My copy is slightly dish-warped but sonically flawless: no distortion, no mistracking, no surface noise. The mastering is excellent. This copy is now my favorite, bettering my previous favorites (a UK Track original and a US Decca original)."

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/printthread.php?t=55439
viridian, thats great, now can you just send us each a copy!?
just kidding, but have you heard the classic pressing in question and if so what did you think?
viridian,
appreciate the more detailed account you just gave. I totally believe what you are reporting and responded w/ a wisecrack last night because, in believing, I am then in that good ol predicament of not (likely) ever getting that best pressing for my own listening. also, I knew zilch about the uk pressings, bilbo or otherwise before this. although normally I have the highest regard for all things bilbo.
it is rare that I get what I know to be an actual first pressing of uk stuff. with the cat stevens i bought, someone guided me based on island label design/colour et al and when I heard them it so blew away all others that i assumed it was the real deal. the old us pressings of who lps have always let me down but the only supposed early uk who i have are mono copies of the 1st 3 lps and they ain't great. but who knows if they were the real deal. its become too costly for me to keep chasing elusive uk early pressings after being let down a few times. (I've been sorely disappointed by beatle pressings I've bought also -have what i know is an early uk white album and it's no big thrill at all). as with all these things, another early pressing made another day or on a dif machine may be incredibly good. its a crap shoot to some degree. i also have the experience of disagreeing with many about the ccr repressings from a couple years back. people LOVE them, but my early fantasy blue labels blow em away simply by virtue of sounding FRESH/in your face. the added detail of the repressings costs too dearly to my ear by loosing that "immediate" sonic signature. anywho...i am surprised how many people are reporting here what sound like consistent let-downs w/ the classic pressings, as i usually am happy with them.
sibilance can often be the side to side alignment being out of wack. never created any myself with vta though.