Classe DR-5 & Threshold S/300 Synergy

Good evening audio friends,
Back when I was looking for suggestions regarding starting an audio system with used components, a dear friend of mine suggested the Classe DR-5 with the Threshold S/300. He told me that this combination would work very well together and he was right. The synergy between these two pieces of equipment is awesome to my ears.

My questions is this: Where can I send the Classe DR-5 for an upgrade? And who can I send it to who knows and has worked with Classe stuff? There are a lot of techs out there but I am looking for one that has personal experience with upgrading Classe in general and the DR-5 or DR-6 specifically. I am not interested in moving to the DR-6. My DR-5 already sounds good but can sound even better I believe. Plus, it's about time I had it looked at just in case there might be pending trouble. HELP PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Bob
rbwinterlink

Showing 1 response by rbwinterlink

October 4, 2009 (2:45pm)

Good afternoon everyone,

I want to thank each of you for responding here. After reading each comment, I am in agreement that no upgrade need be done. As I've stated before, I am totally happy with the synergy between the Threshold S/300 and my DR-5. The pre-amp and power amp are in great condition presently.

I've just completed a DIY turntable with a seperate motor housing. This is a massive belt driven turntable that weighs in the area of 65 to 75 pounds. I used the platter and bearing from my old Elite Crainfield Rock turntable which had a bad motor. I purchased this turntable back in 1983. The bearing and platter on the Rock is massive. The bearing housing was bolted directly to the new DIY plinth.

Initially, my intentions were to try and refurbish the old Rock. I even called and spoke with Mr. Max Townshend who was of little help. So looking at the old build and bad motor I decided to go the DIY route. I am now waiting for the resting place for my turntable to be build and delived to me.

I purchased and installed a Jelco 750D tonearm and am very impressed with its build and general quality. It looks real good on my new DIY turntable. The arm is 18 grams so it's a little weighty. I will have to be careful regarding the cartridge. I think compliance of 15cu and below is OK. I am leaning towards a low output MC and am thinking Micro Benz Gold or Silver to start. I think that will work OK with the Classe DR-5 and give me plenty of volume (I hope). I love the sound of the Grado Reference, etc, but they don't work well with my Jelco.

I am also using a Parasound C/BD 2000 belt drive CD player. This CD player was made by the CEC folk for Parasound. Recently, the player stopped working (spinning CD's). Its platter turns very slowly then stops. I wonder if a new belt is needed????? Any suggestions where I might send this to be looked at would be great.

Once I relocate to North Carolina I plan to purchase a pair of Magnapan 1,6 or the Eminent Tech Vlll planar speakers with woofer. I have heard the Maggies but not the Eminent Techs. I listen to a lot of classical music to include large scale orchestral and choral works. I also have a sizable jazz collection and love it. Presently, I am using a pair of Mirage OM-9 floor standing speakers. I am using all after-market cables and interconnects.

By the way, the great thing about the Classe DR-5 is that I can install 2 reel to reel tape decks. I am a member of the Tape Project and have a fair amount of reel to reel tapes. I look forward when I can start purchasing tapes for the Tape Project. They are a little out of my price range right now. Your comments please and thank you much.

Bob