Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
timrhu,

I agree, class C amps are not for you.  But have you heard about the latest class D amps?  WOWIE WOW!  Where should I start?......

Later,
 Tim
Class C is great for ham radio!  Ha!

Folks, most class D designs are really a type of Single Ended amp. Something we've been going back to last couple of decades. This may explain why D is finally getting there. The snag class D still deals with is the control loop (feedback). We're still learning - so expect class D to get better and better.

Sound quality depends on the inherent linearity of the amp w/o feedback. Tube guys know this well. Some of us are trying to do this concept with D. Won't happen overnight. 

A is just another version of A/B. Bias is used to increase the operational linearity of the devices. It works to a point. Cost is serious $$$$ and heat. Some day, D will incorporate all these factors that are pluses in other topologies. Then we'll all stay cool dudes....
   I feel very well qualified to report on my time ( 10 yrs.) with a pair of Class D, Red Dragon Leviathan monoblocks.   I LOVE them.  ... I don't hear the harsh and dark that guidocorona reports.  The reviews were also just shy of stunning when new.  With no mention from any one of such shortcomings.

I have been using an EAR 868 pre though.  And it is a very nice "warm","sweet" and "tuby" tube pre. So I confess to "tuning".  When I used a Mark Levinson 380S it was more bright.  But not fatiguing , or harsh in any sense.    

I will tell you that the sound is my number one criteria.  However their absolutely effortless control, and comparatively light weight are very nice pluses.  

My current listening room is mid sized, and the amps are great space savers.  I have some Bob Carver Cherry 180s that I haven't even set up because I am so happy with the Leviathans.  And I would also love to have a pair of brute solid state monos.  But every time I look to see what the weight is.   And going over 100 lbs. makes me think what I'd pay to not have a slipped disk.  ... I'll still go big SS when the opportunity presents itself.

But if setting up a surround sound system, I'd have to sample the new line at Red Dragon.  ... I'd buy them by the bunch !!!!

I don't know about all the other stuff out there. But RD is OK+++.
The snag class D still deals with is the control loop (feedback).
Its easy enough to build a class D amp that does not use loop feedback.

Hi keeponrockin, it is fabulous that you had an exceptional experience with the Leviathan.

Admittedly, I audition Leviathan several times at length, using my standard test tracks of piano, chamber, jazz/Krall, orchestra, and sax/vocalists, but only at RMAF.... What often happens at shows is that manufacturers bring along brand new devices fresh off the factory floor, with little or no break-in.... So, it is possible that I was experiencing the limitations of units which were not properly broken in.

Regards, Guido