Class D ICEpower 1200as2 vs. Purifi 1ET7040SA amplifiers

Greetings,

Has anyone compared the ICEpower 1200as2 vs. Purifi 1ET7040SA amplifier in their hifi setup?  Legacy Audio uses the ICEpower module in their i-V2 Ultra and Doug Schroeder did a nice review on it.  I first read about the i-V2 Ultra in Doug's review on the Pure Audio Project Trio15/Coax10 review.  I just ordered these speakers, so I am interested in this amp.  I researched a myriad of class D amps and I've narrowed down my interest to the following; GaNFet (AGD Audion), Purifi (Apollon w/Sparkos opamp), MOSFET (Bel Canto REF601M) and ICEPower (Legacy Audio I-V2 Ultra). 

I know ICEpower modules are older class D technology, but if they are equal or outperform the latest offerings, that's all that matters to me.  Plus, I understand they are reliable as they have been around for a long time. 

I owned PS Audio's M700's and S300 amps which use ICEPower modules and they sounded really good, but I sold them several years ago to explore the world of tubes.  I'm back to solid state now and interested in the latest class D offerings.

Any impressions/experience with the icepower 1200as2 vs. Purifi 1ET7040SA amplifiers are welcomed.  I've already read good reviews on both of them, so a comparison between the two would be most helpful.  In addition, let me know if you have compared any of the class D amps in my list in the first paragraph.  I understand I need to hear them for myself, but I still appreciate your opinions!

Thanks in advance

128x128dbt

Showing 2 responses by gosta

Make sure to choose a class D amp with lots of head room like 800w in eight ohm.

You may also want it to be stable in 2 ohm.

And don't pay too much for boutique brands.

Yes, the "war" is now between different class D constructions. Myself I use a Storm PA 8 mk2 which is terrific.