CJ MF2200 or Threshold CAS-2?

I have owned each of these amps and used one or the other in my main system for many years. Though I have enjoyed them both, the time has come to part with one of the two, so I would appreciate inputs from the group on which I should keep. The prices they would each fetch are NOT a concern, but rather which is best for my current listening. That said, I have also dabbled with the thought of selling both and going with something completely different. The counterpoint is that retirement and having a smaller listening space leave me with less interest in experimentation than in my younger years. In addition to the amps, here is my current set up: Supratek Chardonnay tube preamp (has built in phono stage), Golden Ear Triton 7 speakers. Sources: Michell Gyro TT w/ Rega arm and Zyx cartridge (90% of listening), Revox A-77 R2R, Cambridge Audio CD. Eye candy: Mac MI-3 

Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion?

jmarki

Showing 3 responses by jmarki

Russ69 - thanks for the response. The same thought occurred to me just before I hit "post". I suppose this means the two are very close in my view (or in that of my ears). So let me re-pose my question as: which of the two would you choose if these were the only two options? As for the question about an integrated amp, while my advancing age and the accompanying decline in hearing ability have me thinking about simplifying my system, the combination of a SS amp and tube pre continue to be my preference.

Richmon - Interesting idea I had not previously considered. If I were to follow your advice a) how much do you think the CJ and Threshold would each fetch and b) what power amp would you buy with the proceeds which you would consider an upgrade?

Richmon - sorry for the late response - hadn't been back on the site the last couple of weeks. I appreciate your updated advice. The speakers - while not the caliber of what I had in my earlier days - are indeed pretty well matched to the rest of the system, and as importantly, to my current smaller listening space. Probably will move one of the two pwr amps and rather than using the funds to buy new equipment, continue to expand my vinyl collection. That said, after nearly 50 years of buying/selling/trading audio gear, I learned long ago to never say "never" - as my wife can verify. :)  Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.