CJ 140lm monos vs pass x350.8

So my buddy let me borrow his CJ monoblocks. Running with bottlehead moreplay pre, denafrips terminator OG and NS5000. Initially I didn't like the CJs but after giving them about an hour to warm up they presented this addictive seductive golden midrange and very full weighty sound that drew me in.

The pass has better treble detail, extension and slightly bigger staging but CJ has denser rich more involving images. I honestly feel they are complementary amps and love them both.

Now the problem is I don't feel like paying $800 to re-tube the CJs every 2-3 years. Do you think there is an SS amp that would have that warm romantic sound like the CJ so that way I can just use that and I don't have to re-tube.

So far I am thinking something from accuphase.. maybe vintage. Or maybe prior gen luxman. Coda no 8 or 16? And finally but probably won't do this because of price would be dartzeel.

smodtactical

Showing 1 response by smodtactical

@marco1 Good tip on 0.5 series. I was reading on WBF that 0.5 series is richer and has more 'soul'. Apparently XS Series combines the detail and clarity of 0.8 but the midrange euphonics of 0.5. But of course XS is pricey.