Choosing speakers for room w/ obstructing sofas

I have only one place for speakers-- on either side of a fireplace bumpout, and there are couches perpendicular to speaker locations with 32 inch high arms. Should I buy floorstanders with drivers (mids and tweeters, at least) clustered toward top of cabinet, in order to clear obstructing sofa arms, or put monitors atop stands, keeping in mind that stands would have to be at least 30 inches high, probably more. I have purchased a new cd player and integrated amp based on Audiogon feedback, but cannot finish putting new system together as I'm stumped by this speaker issue. Help!
stuartk
You guys really know how to cheer somebody up! I know, I know, laws of physics. If the speakers are pulled as far back from sofas (against wall) what effect would that have, if any? Good? Bad?
Zu Druids are tall, and will basically have the driver/tweeter above the arm of you sofa. I had this arrangement at our previous house with great results.
Heyy,

Caal me an alien but I have similar problems in my own room and added .... a Rel sub !! This move gave more dimension to the overall soundscape and somehow gave me the illusion of wider and more accurate space, diminishing the negative effect of our couch ....

BTW, am using Avalon Eidolon.
some speakers are better near wall than others, make sure that if you do choose a speaker for near wall to ask around, like for example dont get a pair with a rear bass port.