Cheap tweaks...What would YOU reccomend?

Hey everyone, I am looking for some cheap tweaks, i just got done putting in a inner tube under my componets as an isolation device, and it works great. What else would you reccomend?..i am also thinking of an inner tube under the spkrs, with some sort of device to keep them stable. What do you think of Rf blockers..etc Please leave comments on your tweaks and how they turned out. i am looking forward to trying some. Thanks all
haoleb

Showing 1 response by ts1420

understand what each componant is doing and trying to achieve.

- Sources turn Mains power into music - therefore noise free power means noise free music.
- Arcing produces RF noise - dirty contacts & switches make noise (use 'switchless' power points if possible. And clean plugs (interconnects etc) and trim bare wire 6 monthly.
- Household appliances often have motors/compressors in them and will squirt heaps of RF noise into the circuit and cause the voltage to drop. A seperate AC circuit with a higher gauge wiring and circuit breaker will help tremendously.
- The anal retentive can even determine which phase the neihbourhood is using and tap into a different one!
- Amps can transiently draw large currents, power conditioning can filter noise & fill in voltage drops. (A well made computer UPS can do these things / cheap too)

- ALL electronic componants are microphonic. That means vibrations will alter the signals they carry, ESPECIALLY in the presence of a magnetic field. Therefore items that isolate and damp resonances work miracles. Heavy shelves have a lower resonant frequency, that equipment is less sensitive too and is easily filtered by cones etc... These vibrations can come through the floor OR the air. Resonances in equipment also need attention.

- Magnetic fields come with electric currents, and exert a 'dielectric effect' back to the electric current. Hence cable 'dressing'/ or keeping weak signal cables away from larger current carrying cables or metal or carpet helps alot (air is the very best dielectric / thats why sitting speaker cable on styrofoam cups seems to work).
- Distance between componants helps too.

- Speakers are trying to accelerate & decelerate their cones at crazy speeds. As the speaker pushes the cone, the cone pushes back, therefore making the speaker as rigid as possible whilst isolating from floor borne vibration works miracles to even modest speakers. Tweaking screws couples the driver 'rigidly' to the cabinet. Spikes allow vibrations to travel easily through the point, but not back up. Wood is pretty soft, so standing a speakers spikes onto coins or a spiked stand (for floor standers a spiked granite slab is excellent)- standing a speaker on something soft would allow the cabinent to move and even store energy - a very bad thing.

- Acoustic relections that arrive in less than 11 miliseconds are 'evil', so damping first order reflections should be a priority. Hard parallel surfaces are bad as they encourage 'slap echo' and standing waves, break them up with hanging rugs or other treatments.

All these things can be done very cheaply and will elevate a modest system to greatness and allow great systems to perform on a par with their prices! ignore these things and great gear can sound worse than cheap gear thoughtfully set up! (I managed to inflict a nasty case of 'upgarde-itis' on someone with a $40k system vs my (then) $4k system!)
Some tweakery is 'theoretical' &/or 'smoke & mirrors' but your ears will tell you whether they are BS or real steps towards accuracy.