CHANGING FROM AUDIO RESEARCH TO AUDIO NOTE SYSTEM 

Dear All,

I got hooked by the SET sound and am considering selling my Audio Research based system (REF 5 SE preamp and REF150 power) and Wilson SOPHIA 3 speakers. In exchange I would buy a level 3/4 system. M3 phono balanced input pre, P3 Tonnmeister power and AN E AN-E-SPe HE 98db or  AN-E/SPx ALNICO 95 dB speakers. 

However, considering the good quality I already have, I fear being a little downgraded. Wonder what is your opinion. 

My room allows corner placement, and has 30 m2 with 2,4 m height ceiling. 

Best regards,

128x128pfmaudio

I like the AN stuff having just demoed AN a month or so ago. I bought a pair of Charney Companions to pair with my Art Audio Jota/Lamm LL2. Charney I think is better in all categories. I'd have been happy with AN but what I have sounds as good as anything I've ever heard with that sense of immediacy or palpability or whatever it is that makes the SET/low impedance combo so compelling. 

@pfmaudio 

Hi, I started this hifi journey a couple of years ago. Last year I has the opportunity to experience AN and sold all my gear and build an all integrated AN system: AN Meishu Silver with E4300 and rest all NOS tubes, ANJ/Spe speakers, AN Cables all around, and a simple DAC. Marveled at what I get. 8W of pure haven. So much so that I have an order for a new AN Meishu Tonemeister Silver SE Integrated, and AN CD-5 CD Player and an AN 4.1x DAC. I have found that the AN Dealers do a lot of the speaker placement in your room to get the most of the system. My room is 15 x 13, and it is a dedicated room. 

I have heard Wilson speakers with Mcintosh, with VAC and with AR gear. The sound is incredible, but is a completely different presentation. If you are looking to direct what you are hearing, I believe you will be better served with your current system. If you want to turn on the music and wish you can continue listening for days on end AN is your route.

Don't know where you are located, but if in South Florida, Soundlux Audio is your to go place for AN.

Good luck.

Post removed 

@pfmaudio Take a look at the Volti Audio Rival. It will address your room placement preferences and constraints. It is also easy to drive and will work well with your move to SET amplification. Front ported. Corner friendly. Multiple finishes / looks. Crossover(s) are adjustable, which allows for room tuning, etc. I also believe it offers the type of "sound" you described you are looking for.

Nice to see mention of Charney as an option.

Volti Audio Rival 2

[Note: Reposted since the forum 'was down' (for me) while I was editing.]