Change of sound with Deoxit G100

Hi folks!

Yesterday for the first time I took the time to clean and treat a lot of electrical contacts in my system: all RCA connectors (electronics and cables), banana plugs, fuse holders and fuses, IEC receptacles, DC umbilical cables of external power supplies... the only things I haven't treated yet are the AC power section.

For my preamp I first used Deoxit D5 as it's vintage and the RCA connectors were tarnished, then I used Deoxit gold G100 (100% solution, no spray). For all the rest I only used the Deoxit gold G100.

My system is actively tri-amped so there are a LOT of connections and a LOT of contacts. It is also extremely revealing.

This is my first foray into contact treatments, so I thought why not start with one of the cheapest and most widely used products and go from there.

Well, I have to say, the effect after treatment is quite dramatic: more extension in the highs, more fluidity, less "grunge" BUT the sound is also much colder and flatter than it used to be before treatment. Weirdly, bass seems a bit anemic (I have two 13inch Focal subs in vast reflex enclosures for sub bass, and two 15inch hornloaded drivers for upper bass and lower midrange, and the bass is rather tactile / physical even at lowish volumes, usually). I have double checked all connections.

I've read similar comments and a few stating that it all comes back to great sound after a few days of "settling in" (I do not dare to speak of "burn in" for a contact enhancer, even if I'm a fervent believer in burn-in for cables, electronics and speakers).

Can anybody chime in? I just did it yesterday morning and didn't have time to listen much, I guess I'll see how it evolves, but I'm curious!

rolox

Showing 1 response by rolox

@mulveling I went through those few minutes: "crap... is that how my electronics actually sound?" then I remembered how sensitive my system is to the most minute changes and to settling down and burn-in phenomenons (I mean those are so easy to hear on my system, it's scary sometimes) and I more or less expected that it would "settle down", remembering what I had read here and there.

and indeed, yesterday the bass frequencies were back, the sound was much less "bleached" and sterile, and the treble was much smoother (almost to a fault). Depth and relief are coming back as well.

Now I just hope life and "plankton" will come back too, as the sound still feels a little bit too "hi-fi-ish" and smooth, but I have good hopes.

On the subject of silver plated connectors: I've just ordered the same cable I use throughout my system, but with silver plating instead of rhodium. I will see how different it sounds.

@fuzztone I might try some more expensive contact enhancer at some point.