CDR Burning compatibility with DVD players

I use Disk Juggler and have a PlexWritter CDR burner. I burn CDs with no problem. They play on car, home, cheap and expensive CD players of all kinds. My problem is they don't play on my or my mothers DVD player. I had just assumed I couldn't. Well my mother's boyfriend using cheaper stuff is able to make CDs that play on her (Sony) DVD player. What gives? Yes I will ask him what he uses but any ideas would be helpfull. Could it possibly be the media? I use Memorex CDRs.
keis
DVD readers need two lasers to (reliably) read CD-Rs. This costs money, so not all consumer DVD players implement it. I believe it's getting more common, though.

Note that all DVD readers should be able to read CD-RWs - that doesn't require the second laser.
I have what used to be Sony's top of the line DVD player ( back in the stone ages ). It will not read CD-R's. However, i do know that my business partners Philips that is even older will read CD-R's with no problems. As Justdan stated though, his Philips is a two laser machine. Sean
>