CDP isolation options for improved HF?

Following recent thread on shelf material, I'd appreciate advice on supplentary isolation/vibration devices for my old CDP (Rotel 855). I'm mulling over new digital front end options, but meanwhile want to eliminate HF roughness now evident in my new ref system, without reducing PRAT or resolution. So how do I optimize the use of this CDP until the revolution? Some have suggested that air bladder suspensions compromise timing. Is this often true? Thanks. Ernie
subaruguru

Showing 2 responses by caterham1700

Hi Ernie, The problem with the use of pods and cone devices beneath CDP's and DAC's is that they are not "voiced" for specific applications whereas the component manufacturer will typically voice their products in "normal" domestic environments such as wooden furniture and "typical" isolation stands with wood or mdf shelving on both slab and suspended flooring.Because of this and the very wide variety of suspension techniques used in source components(ranging form neoprene transport spacers to spring suspensions to rubber chassis feet)the results of cones/pods are nearly always highly specific to the individual deck. A better approach is via high performance shelving and support materials and constructions with broadband vibration damping, dissipation or evacuation. This category of isolation measures almost always will have been carefully developed and voiced to take into account the same environmental and acoustic parameters as did the cdp/dac manufacturer-A much less hit and miss proposition having more predicatble and consistant results and ultimately more effective as well. Cones and pods may then be used in conjunction with the accessory performance shelving to fine tune the tonal balance and for further energy reductions and/or compensatory effects if so desired. Best, Ken Lyon (caterham1700) GreaterRanges/Neuance
Ernie, Sorry for the negativity of my last post;^) You might wish to try a few simple experiments of little to no cost to "adjust" your Rotel's presentation.It's been a long time since I've used an 855 so please bear with me as my memory is pretty vague about it's specifics(tho I recall it's sound very well).First, play around with the orientation of the mains power cord if it does not have a 3rd ground prong.If it uses rubber feet, try replacing them with a harder rubber dome or truncated pyramidal shaped footpad for starters.The harder(denser and less compliant) material may help evacuate vibration more quickly and still retain the primary voice and"suspension" of the Rotel. It will isolate better because of the smaller contact patch (bottlenecking floorbourne intrusion). Another, more drastic method if you use an stand/rack of the Target/SoundOrganisation/Standesign variety is to remove a large cutout in the mdf shelf, approx 5-6 " in diameter directly below the center of mass of your cdp(should be slightly offset from the center of the shelf to prevent standing waves, tho not absolutely critical as to the exact location,ie-1/2" from dead centre would be fine). The reason for this is to reduce the unsupported mass at the centre of the platform and thus reducing energy storage and time smearing of info via the trampoline effect.Any disturbance is then more quickly dissipated and less likely to intrude upon the music. Best, Ken Lyon (caterham 1700) GreaterRanges/Neuance BTW- you might also wish to investigate alternative interconnects like the inexpensive($150/mtre pair/RCA) but hugely pacey and involving Cabletalk monitor 2.1 or slightly warmish and refined Harmonic Tech truthlinks ($175/mtre pair/RCA).The HT's are commonly seen here at Audiogon. Audioprism quietlines are also an effective and relatively cheap means of gaining refinement esp in RFI contaminated environments.These are passive shunt filters designed to be placed in wall outlets with "noisey" appliances such as refridgerators and computers.The effects can range from pleasantly subtle to strikingly obvious depending on your particular AC line situation.