CD transport vs.streaming

Many have stated on this forum that the SQ from their CDs is superior to the sound from streaming sources. Others have said the opposite. Weirdly, in side by side identical tracks the sound from my Cyrus CDt sounds identical to my Cambridge CXN v2 streamer. I wonder if anyone else has this experience.

128x128rvpiano

Showing 1 response by larry5729

I have never heard of IMHO and IME?

I purchased a power cord for my BlueSound Node 2i and I think it sounds better.  I also purchased a high end digital cable to connect to my ARCAM AVR550.  The cable company told me using a digital cable would improve sound quality. Still not sure.  I really didn't want to give up MQA.  However, I was told the digital cable would still transfer hi-res files.  Many think MQA is a marketing tool TIDAL uses to lock people into MQA.  The Harmon ret came to my house and demonstrated Qobuz and It was very noticeable the sound quality of Qobuz was better.  However, their library is smaller.   I still wonder if these additions really make a sound difference.  However, looking at the $5 power cords that come with electronics just the gage and shielding must make some noise difference.  I added a $700 power cable to my ARCAM AVR550 and the first thing I noticed was I had to turn down the volume to obtain the same volume as previously using their $5 to $8 power cord that is provided by the factory.  I would think not needing as much volume must possibly reduce distortion.

IMHO the last two aren't the same quality, and without knowing the details about the streamed masters, it's hard to even know if you're comparing apples/apples. 

IME, on locally streamed rips vs. the same CDs, the files always sounded better. Ripped SACDs vs. the same SACD, same result, the files win. YMMV.  Cheers,

Spencer