CD/SACD Player that is at least as good as OPPO BDP 103D

I have OPPO 103D. It sounds pretty good. It sounds better than all my CD/SACD players I have had at $2000 or under. I have separate Stereo and Home theater setup and I use it on my home theater. Its picture quality is noticeably better than cheap sub $200 BlueRay players.
I am thinking of buying another OPPO 103D (or 103). Used price is around $400. But I wonder whether there are CD/SACD players at under $1000 used (less than 5 years and in 8-9/10 condition) that are better than OPPO 103D on CD and SACD sound.
Any suggestion?
128x128ihcho

Showing 3 responses by uberwaltz

Op

Yes the Pioneer beat out the OPPO 95 in my system.
Don't forget sacd cannot be output over digital, so using analog outs from Pioneer was better than OPPO performance in my system to my ears, YMMV.
Now I still use the OPPO for BluRay Audio and movies via HDMI ( you can output SACD this way too) but for CD the Pioneer is better.

Btw I paid $129 shipped for mine so pretty close to Loomisjohnson.
The Marantz SA1 is one of the top dog SACD players but again it is not a universal all in one.

I know it is nice to go with just a one box solution fits all , been there.

However for SACD replay there is better for sure.

My old Pioneer dv79avi does a better job of SACD and CD replay than my OPPO 95 but it does not do BluRay....

Can be a tough choice and always seem to end up as a compromise along the road in one aspect or another.
All I have to add is that an old CEC belt drive CD transport sounds much more musical in my system than my OPPO.

However as it only plays CD the OPPO stays for sacd and bluray audio.

For just pure CD replay I think you can do much better than OPPO.

But when you throw in the need for a universal player, the OPPO probably has no equal on average.