CD/SACD Player that is at least as good as OPPO BDP 103D

I have OPPO 103D. It sounds pretty good. It sounds better than all my CD/SACD players I have had at $2000 or under. I have separate Stereo and Home theater setup and I use it on my home theater. Its picture quality is noticeably better than cheap sub $200 BlueRay players.
I am thinking of buying another OPPO 103D (or 103). Used price is around $400. But I wonder whether there are CD/SACD players at under $1000 used (less than 5 years and in 8-9/10 condition) that are better than OPPO 103D on CD and SACD sound.
Any suggestion?
128x128ihcho

Showing 5 responses by ihcho

Hmm,
Pioneer dv79avi sounds better for CD and SACD than OPPO 95?

I really don't care much about BlueRay in my stereo system since I have a separate home theater setup with OPPO 103D player.
I might look into more options for just CD/SACD player at under $1000.
Thanks.

Thanks for all your input.

I’ve had Arcam FMJ CD23 and now I use Sony ES DVP-NS999ES.
Arcam didn’t sound noticeably better than Sony and I needed an SACD player, so Arcam is long gone. In direct comparison, to my ears on my system, OPPO 103D sounds a tad better than Sony.
I bought OPPO for my home theater setup, and its picture quality and 5 channel surround sound is much better than my Yamaha BlueRay player (at sub $200), and I’m happy with it.
If OPPO 95 does indeed sound better than 103D, I would seriously consider to go for a used 95, which appears to be the best bet.
Anyhow, for CD and SACD sound quality, which CD/SACD players (under $2000 used) will be noticeably better than OPPO 95? My main listening is on Classicals and Acoustic Jazz, with some rocks and pops.
My main stereo system is Plinius SA102, Plinius M16P, and Apogee Diva and Tyler Linbrook speakers.
Analog is Garrard 301/Ortofon RMG 309/Ortofon Gold SPU and Clear Audio Emotion/Satisfy Tonearm/Ortofon low MC cartridge.

Thanks for all.
If I have enough disposable income now, I would not mind spending much more, even more than $2000, but I'd like to keep it under $1000. I asked about $2000 since it seems hardly likely that any player under $1000 would sound noticeably better than OPPO 95, and I was interested in knowing then what players can easily beat OPPO 95.
At this point, OPPO 95 will be my next player. Hope it works better than my Sony DVP-NS999ES. It sounds pretty, but I just feel that my current system can potentially do much better with a better CD/SACD player.
I thought about 105D, but I've heard that there are not much difference of analog stereo sound between 93 and 105D, and they use pretty much the same DAC chip. I would listen to mostly CD and some SACDs.
If there's any difference, it would be hard to notice. Am I wrong?
Price difference between used 93 and 105D is about $500. I am not sure whether it's worth extra $500.