CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0

I use my Oppo only for blu-rays. CD disks are for ripping and archive. It’s easier to get to really low jitter without the CD transport. If you must use a CD transport, at least reclock it:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154408.0

As you can see, the jitter is 35 times higher using only the transport. DACs are not jitter immune either. Even DACs with upsampling sound better with a low-jitter input signal.

Using the reclocker also eliminates ground-loops, upsamples the data and negates the need for CD treatments, green pens, destatic etc... Don’t waste your money on CD tweaks. Buy a reclocker instead. Much more effective and can give you 20psec of jitter, as good as a $20K+ transport.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

IMO I still use a CD transport but I also build my own DAC & Phono Stage.  Each has a 35 pound power supply.  I prefer tubes also.  I had to build the DAC to accept digital form PCs about a year ago because of demand.  In direct comparison, I like both sounds (built my own server) also.  I still prefer the overall sound of the transport because it still has a more emotional sound to my ears.  Both have a excellent sound, it is just my preference.  Recordings were form master recordings, SACD, etc., so they were the best I could find.  Funny thing is that a well known manufacturer of CDPs and CD transport told to stop using transports (even though his company sells them) so go figure that one.  Tranports still make a difference.  We recently compared my friends modifed tube Metronome CDP used as a transport to my old CEC TL5100Z and the CEC was much better.  There are inexpensive transports that are almost as good as the older higher priced ones but you have to experiment and listen for yourself and make your own conclusions.  Nothing wrong with either way as long as you are happy.  Having a ton of music at your finger tips is really nice though!  BTW the phono stage that I build kicks the ass of the CDP and streamer but I hate the pops and clicks!

Happy spinning or streaming!

Good  SACD/CD/BD  player cheaper than ever  Sony UBP -1000ES sounds just as good as my Sony XA5400ES.  
Post removed