CD Player: Vintage or modern ones?

I’ve been given a collection of classical and jazz CD’s, last time I had or played one was like 20 years ago with a humble Denon I bought saving for few months.

Now that I have a pretty good system, wondering if worth to get a good CD Player or find some “old glory”, but I’m totally lost.

The one that appeals to me is the Audis Flight FL Three S in black (must be black to match rest of my Italian system, ideally from that beautiful country), or the Goldnote CD-10, even some TEAC. Regarding more older units, I’m totally lost.

Any suggestion? Rest of the system is made by Diesis Audio (Speakers, Ampnand cables).

Thanks in Advance.

superelmar

So interesting… I think would be the only way I’d listen to an entire album, streaming as comfy and good it is, makes me nervous changing song from one album to another, maybe just get a transport for my Aqua La Scala? Would be this option better than just get a 1000-4000€ cd player?

You will have to find out, comparing the two options. Probably, your hifi dealer is able to provide the respective gear for a few days.

As you own already a superb dac, you might want to go forward with a transport. As said, try to listen to your options in your 4 walls. Even with two or three different transports in different price ranges. That's what I would do.

At the end of the day, nobody can give you a final and bullet proof answer to your last question. Only you can.

I was in a similar situation when my Audio Aero CD-player broke down. With (too) many CDs I was recommended to go for a used Accuphase DP-67, around 2008 considered as one of the best CD-players around. Indeed, it sounded really great. But when I connected it to my Merason Frerot DAC it sounded so much better. Obviously, modern mid-priced DACs are much better than the ones in state-of-the-art CD-players of about 15 years ago. So if you want to buy an older CD-player, focus on the quality of the transport and add a modern DAC.

My next observation was that all the CDs I had collected between 1990 and 2010 sounded mediocre compared to streaming them in high resolution on Quboz. So I sold the Accuphase, and had the Audio Aero repaired for the occasional time I want to listen to a CD that is not in Quboz.

Great advice Steiv......  based on both experience and practical capabilities (theory).