Cat damaged speaker, Help

I posted this on the Asylum, but wanted to get as many opinions as possible.

Our cat cut a slice that looks like a number "7" into the rubber surround of one of my speakers. The woofer is a 6.8" Scanspeak driver which I know is expensive to replace. The speaker seems to sound ok but the cut is bothering me. Is there any kind of glue I can use to repair it without doing more damage to the speaker, or should I just leave it alone? Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
128x128stereo5

Showing 10 responses by rodman99999

Silicone will add weight to that section of the surround(not much, but...), and silicone does not adhere well to neoprene anyway. Get some Super Glue/Krazy Glue/cyanoacrylate adhesive, and dab a TINY bit exactly in the center of the cut, with the tip of a toothpick(don't spread the cut). capillary action will carry the adhesive into the cut, and left alone for a few minutes, the repair will be complete.
I suppose people incapable, or unwilling, to do(or learn to do) simple tasks for themselves, is what keeps our economy fueled(at least the repair/service sectors). Then again- there are A LOT of people out there, that should NOT be allowed to lift a hammer, plug in an appliance or squeeze a tube of glue! A good percentage of the money I've earned in my lifetime has been a result of another's ineptitude. There is great wisdom in the quote, "A man has GOT to know his limitations!" Sorry- just felt the need to use a 3rd Order Butterworth Alignment for a minute(venting).
Haven't you people ever heard of, "declawing?" In 1978, my daughter got a cat for her birthday. It was declawed(front paws) immediately. After one incident, it was vigrously trained not to jump onto my turntable, and other audio gear. The cat's name was, 'Angel' and it was, for the next 14yrs(the perfect pet-literally).
HEY, "wolf"- Look up a Vet on this declawing locator site: (http://www.localvets.com/services/declawing/) Ask them to educate you! I found twelve, in my neighborhoo, that are presently declawing cats.
Timlub- Adding paint and fabric to a surround, will both stiffen and add weight to it, changing the Thiel/Small parameters. It's easy to, "fix" a speaker, so it continues to make sounds. Reconing is another option, but the vast majority of reconers, use aftermarket parts(ie: Waldom was the major supplier for decades), that DO NOT come close to OEM. To repair a speaker, and NOT change it's original sound/parameters, is a bit more involved.
Timlub- It seems we pressed the, "Submit" button, within seconds of one another, on those last two posts. Regarding cyanoacrylate and rubber: There are numerous kits available, that use neoprene, Nitrile, Viton, etc. and cyanoacrylate to allow one to make O-rings. These bonds are some of the most permanent/strongest, with this type of glue. Foam surrounds are another story altogether.
Hello Tim- I did speaker reconing for a number of years(largest speaker repair service in Orlando, FL), before opening a High End shoppe, in Winter park, FL. I was building my own line of speaker systems(Pro and home), and still reconing/repairing speakers, when the Winter Park Sinkhole(1981) opened up 20' from my property line, and shut my doors. I'm still doing pro-sound repairs now, as a sideline. It doesn't take much material, added to a 6" driver's surround, to stiffen it & change the driver's sound. Whether most listeners would notice or not......? My point on Super Glue and rubber, in the O-ring kits, should have been obvious to even the meanest of intellects. All moot points, now that the OP has done his repair, and is pleased(KUDOS).
Tim- You keep talking about, "mass." What part of, "stiffness"(changing a driver's compliance, Cms/Qts), do you not understand?
Iso- I'm not into animal cruelty in the least(OR Anthropomorphism). Angel was as much a compleat, frisky feline after, as it was before the procedure, minus it's capacity for shredding things. It was an indoor pet, and needed not to defend itself. Outside of feeding the neighborhood strays; I have had no pets, since Angel died(14 cat years=80 human years). To me; the issue is as dead as the cat. Perhaps you(or anyone else with something to say) would care to address the thousands of Vets, NATIONWIDE, that perform the operation daily: (http://www.localvets.com/services/declawing/) Happy crusading.