Cassettes still rock!

Played Dire Straits debut album last night - from a Maxell XL 2s cassette recorded from the vinyl over 30 years ago. Best sound I've heard on my system in months. I have the SACD, but doesn't have the organic sound from the tape/vinyl. Dig out your old cassettes! 
mcondo
Got a couple blank Fuji will try recording on them later.

I've had excellent luck with Fuji tapes.  I have lots of them.  One of my favorites.

The best tapes, (getting specific) that I have ever tried:

Sony Metal Master (Ceramic Shell)
TDK MA-R  (Metal Shell)
TDK MA-XG (Metal Shell)
That's Suono

I'm a proud owner of an Advent 201.
Not a rare deck. Ugly too....but built like a Sherman!
First deck to take advantage of CR02 tape and I think the first to go Dolby B.
And fastest deck ever - with the Woll...wotsit transport.

Here is a most interesting read:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/advent.htm

I have over 200 Grateful Dead concerts on tape. Which I almost never play, since I don't much care for this group. (Also , Phish tape collectro goes with Dead, so got lots of them live on tape also.)

Yes, the Advent was (and is) a true high fidelity deck, as reflected in both its price and its weight. I wouldn't call it ugly, however.
Okay, I currently use a Nakamichi ZX7 for playback only. My 150 classical London, Angel, DGG, Philips cassettes sit in a box along with many soundtracks and pop cassettes. They sound bad, either compressed, hissy, tonally wrong, etc. However, I made superb recordings on my former Tandberg 310 (it died) without dolby and they were quiet recordings. Better yet, I substituted my Tandberg 9000 RR deck and made superior recordings to the cassettes. I have about half a dozen great sounding private cassettes, some of organ music recorded outdoors in San Diego. I transfer cassettes of ethnic music to CDs. My high end system prefers RR, LPs and CDs to pre-recorded cassettes despite some of the latter being okay. I have 78s with really wonderful sound that mimic mastertape in that alive quality with real dynamics.  I had excellent results recording to SuperBeta tape as well.  Now I use a Tascam digital recorder.  Different from my Pioneer 1500 RR but I've made some professional quality recordings of chamber music by prominent musicians on the Tascam.

I would NOT go back to listening to pre-recorded cassettes in my life.  
The Harmon Kardon late cassette decks shared a warm and dynamic sound like Tandberg.  I found the Nakamichi more reliable (serviced twice in 20 years) versus the constant problems with the Tandberg (and RR as well).  I used only top quality Maxell and TDK tapes, at the end metal in ceramic housing.  This is the way I created great sounding cassettes.  As to pre-recorded, I now remember that I have about 400 more pop cassettes in boxes that had either way too much hiss, or with Dolby B, lacking in highs/compressed highs.  Unacceptable. 

As to CDs having a litany of faults by geofkaitt, I don't know what the heck he is hearing except that my mastering engineer friends and audiophile friends (pardoning my analog LP only friends) get magnificent sound out of correctly mastered CDs.  Jazz and classical are particularly well remastered whereas rock has had a worse record.  A 1985 Kyocera 310 or 410 CD player is superior cassette players based on my experience in a high end system.  My 2 track 7.5 ips RR pre-recorded tapes from the 50's slaughter the cassette.  If a jazz or classical music CD fails to breathe/recreate natural ambiance either the mastering, player or both are inadequate.