Cassette Decks in 2019

In the last few years a bunch of experimental/fringe music has been increasingly been put out on cassette. I can stream these on Apple Music and Prime and such but would rather buy it and support the artists.

So on a whim I've been looking at decks. Nakamichi comes out often but HOLD CRAP look at the prices for machines. No thanks. So I see some from TEACTascam and Marantz that are being produced now and wonder if any of these are decent enough soundwise.

Thoughts?
gochurchgo

Showing 1 response by pryso

Al, I was pretty active with cassettes in the '70s and '80s.  Not all at one time but I owned several decks -- HK (2), Tandberg, Nak (480, not impressed), Aiwa, Pioneer, etc.  I was always disappointed by commercial pre-recorded tapes.  But I never heard any of the Advent or CSIS products.  For the others I expect it was the high speed duplication that was their undoing.

However I found making my own recordings, mainly from LPs, with careful attention to tape quality, bias, clean sources, etc. gave very listenable results.  I think some who were disenchanted with cassettes either heard poor quality pre-recorded examples or poorly done home made.