Cary SLP 2002 or Joule LA 100 Mk III or?w/PassX250

All the threads about SS amp/tube preamp has me curious to give this combo a try. Possibly looking at these contenders to replace my Pass X2 preamp.

-Cary SLP 2002, the XLR is a bonus for the X250.
-Joule LA 100, Mk III

Any other recommendations are welcome, budget is around $2k or less, looking for less sterile sound, more of what tubes are all about. (AR will not work as per them (impedance issues). I've been thru all the previous threads on this subject, looking for more. Thanks & happy new year!
128x128pehare

Showing 4 responses by reb1208

I have an SLP-2002 that Cary made a minor mod to. The gain stage has been loaded down to give more range on the volume control. If you have a solid state amp, this will be a great match. Far prefer the Cary to any of the ARC pre-amps that use the digital volume control. You can also use 6N1P and 6CG7 tubes for gain. 6H30 tube as well and it doesn't sound sterile in the Cary. And for the output tube, you can use just about any 12A series tube and industrial equivalents. With all these tube choices you can tailor the sound from very tubey to the other extreme of sterility.
The SLP-2002 was designed for use with tube amps that have a high input sensitivity and low gain. Rather than use 6FQ7/6CG7 tubes that reduce gain. You could send the pre-amp back to Cary. They will install some resistors in the volume control circuit board to reduce gain. Then this pre-amp will mate with any amp on the market. You could probably even bring it to a local technician, the mod is simple to install.
Oldpet, you snuck ahead of me. I was speaking to Claud. Don't give up, the great thing about tube pre's is the flexibilty to alter the sound.