Cary Audio SA 200.2 SE power amp (latest version)

Hey there,

I need some advise and opinions on something. My current setup includes : Monitor Audio Gold 200 5g (latest generation), Classe Sigma Amp2 class D power amp, Classe Sigma preamp, Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player.
My speaker cables & XLR balanced analog interconnects are Cardas Clear Reflection. Power cables : Shunyata Delta NR, Transparent Reference PowerLink MM1, Audioquest Blizzard, Shunyata Venom V10 NR (20 Amp / C19) from wall to my Shunyata Venom PS8 AC power line distributor. AC power line distributor: Shunyata Venom PS8 with Venom Defender.

I’m about to pull a trigger on the new Cary Audio SA 200.2 SE power amp (latest version) to replace my existing Classe Sigma Amp2 class D amp. The Cary is a class AB amp. Which amp do you think will be a better choice for my system? Have anyone compared these two amps before and what are your thoughts? My Monitor Audio Gold 200 5g speakers (latest generation) are very laid back warm smooth refined sounding speakers. The highs and mids are very smooth. These new MA Gold 200 5g are complete opposite sound profile than the previous MA Gold 4g series, which are very forward and somewhat bright. And I’m using warm sounding speaker cables and analog XLR interconnects throughout.
Your advise, inputs and thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dilatante

Showing 7 responses by yowser

I bought the Cary SA-200.2 SE almost a year ago.  I had downsized my listening room and bought smaller speakers (Reference 3A Reflectors).  The smaller room made it unbearable for my tube amp and after much research I came across the Cary SA-200.2 SE.   I wanted to retain the tube-like sound character without all the heat, and the reviews (posted at Cary) said it runs cool.  I also read in the reviews that midrange and vocals were excellent, in particular female vocals.  The original version has been around a while and is a proven performer, so I figured the SE should be better.  (The professional reviews refer to the original).  I have it paired with a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamp to retain the tube character.  I had 30 days to try, but almost immediately I knew it was a keeper.  I call it analog with slam, dynamic, and non-fatiguing.  Like everyone else, I take professional reviews with a grain of salt.  But the reviews at Positive Feedback and 10 Audio were compelling enough for me to give it a try.  Also, it's manageable at 65 lbs.
Yes, sounds a bit like a tube amp.  Cary has stated that they voiced their solid state amp to the "Cary sound".  I never paired with a solid state preamp as I've always been happy with the Sonic Frontiers Line 2 which is known to be very neutral.  The Cary amp definitely runs warm to the touch, not hot.
Never experienced any hum or buzz coming from speakers.  I also just checked and pressed my ears against the drivers.  Dead quiet.
Actually, I had forgotten there was a power switch in the rear of the amp! So, yes, I leave it on 24/7. It’s also kind of hard to access it on my rack.

Following is from the manual:

Press front panel power button to turn on and off. Button will blink while powering up. When button stops blinking, unit is ready to operate.

• Protection against short circuits, device failures, miswiring, and internal faults.
• Thermal as well as DC offset protection
• Stable with mismatched, reactive or unusual loads
• Soft start circuit prevents “Brown outs” when amplifier is turned on

Also, if you haven't already, the white paper is an interesting read on Cary's design philosophy of the ES series.

@dilatante 

Interesting!  I've had mine on for a couple hours and just read your post and checked for buzzing.  I do hear a faint buzzing in both left and right channels.  My equipment is plugged into a Surgex power conditioner/surge protector.  I also just tried plugging the amp directly into the wall and no difference, still faint buzzing.  I responded earlier to your inquiry about buzzing and it was totally silent at the time, which was in the early AM.  I'll check again in the morning and see if there's a difference.  With my ear two feet away, I don't hear anything.

@dilatante 

I turned on my amp yesterday morning and let it run about 10 hours with no music playing, then played music during a normal session of about 2 hours.  During the day (no music playing) there was a faint buzz that would sometimes change to a faint hum -- audible from up to 2 feet to less than 6 inches with the grills off (it fluctuated).  It was never audible beyond 2 feet during the entire 12 hours, and usually audible only within 1 foot .  So no, it never increased during under these conditions. IIRC about 20 years ago I had a Parasound amp that was humming and one side of the amp was noticeably warmer than the other.  Parasound repaired it under warranty but I don't recall what was repaired.

@dilatante 

Right now it's a very faint hum from both speakers, I really have to get my ear close to the speaker cone to hear it.  I am using XLR interconnects.  I did a search on ground loops and tried a few technics such as disconnecting the interconnects from components including the amp and using a cheater plug at the amp power cord and power conditioner to the wall outlet, but no change.  I never previously felt that I had a problem as the hum/buzz is very faint and I never noticed it until you asked me to check for it.  It seems to me that it's not unusual to hear a faint hum from a 200 watt amplifier, but I may be wrong.  IIRC my previous amps had at least a faint hum but definitely inaudible at my listening position which is only about 8 ft now..