Cary 303 CD - Very Detailed - Fixes?

I just bought a Cary 303 CD and it is more detailed than I expected. It is providing me with highs that are a little too much for me, feels a little out of balane or overpowering the mids and lows. I have a Mesa Tigris integrated push/pull tube amp and a pair of Elac Griffin speakers which are also detailed. However, I am going to upgrad my speakers soon - considering the Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods. What would you recommend that I do (cables, interconnects, speakers) to pull back some of this detail?
jcidulka

Showing 1 response by gthirteen

I promise you, the Shearwaters sound "blacker" than most speakers, that is, the treble is very organic sounding- not necessarily rolled off, but definately relaxed. I auditioned a pair a while back. If it were me, I would play around with cheap tweeks until I got my new speakers broken in (that will be quite a while with the Meadowlarks) then, try different speaker cables if it still sounds bright. If you cant find speaker cables that float your boat, DONT BUY ANY. until you throw the interconnects into the mix. It sounds to me like a detailed CD player into a tubed intergated into the Meadowlarks is a match made in heaven. My suggestion (or prophecy) is that you end up with some neutral interconnects and speaker cables. Audioquest and Cardas are considered pretty neutral. You will be able to find an Interconnect/speakercable scheme that mates well with the Meadowlarks and your Cary and your Mesa. It's all about the journey, good luck