Cartridge wars

I'm looking to change cartridges, and I'm looking for opinions on a $1000 +/- cartridge. Currently I'm considering the Grado Reference, Lyra Argo, and Sumiko Blackbird. My turntable is a VPI 19 Mk IV with AQ PT-9 and Bel Canto Electronics/phono stage. Opinions anyone?
mranalog
I doubt they could really be 'embarrassed' by almost anything, but in any case certainly no one could level the same accusation about Fremer.

The dead giveaway is that they're still awarding the Glider a 'star' for perennial inclusion and a '$$$' for outstanding value, just one of the plethora of internal contradictions 'RC' has come to embody over time...
Look into VDH lines. retip is $500 fixed price for any cartridge from VDH. If you get one used, it is still held its resell value pretty well.
I second the recommendation of the J. Allaerts MC1B. However, the pricetag of $2300 is more than double your budget. I've been listening to one for the last two months. It clearly outperforms the cartridges that I've had. (Denon 103, 103D, Shelter 501,901) I'm even inclined to say that this will be my last cartridge. I'm done searching.
It's true that there is a long waiting period. The US distributor is Audioadvancements.
I just got a Lyra Argo from Bob at Elusive Disc to replace my ageing Linn Asaka in an LP12/Ekos. Speakers are LS3/5a. Sounds absolutely wonderful on most music (don't have anything to compare it to, other than the Asaka). Tracking is not as good as the Asaka (but neither is the $3000 Linn Akiva). The Argo mistracks on level 3 up on all bands of Audio Obstacle Course Era III (the Asaka tracked everything except level 5 of the bass drum test).

FWIW!

Keith