Cartridge upgrades for Technics SL-1200MK2?

Just bought a Technics SL-1200MK2 and paired it up with a Shure M97XE and it sounds absolutely wonderful! Just thinking ahead here .... what cartridges should I be considering down the road. I listen primarily to Classical and Jazz and my main amplification is tube- based. I prefer a warmer sound rather than a forward in-your-face presentation. I have a feeling the Technics will respond nicely to cartridge upgrades. I am shocked at how good this unit plays. Puts my former high quality belt drives to shame!

Regards,

John
jpstereo

Showing 1 response by heyitsmedusty

John, I was in your exact same shoes 3 months ago. I have a Technics SL-1200MK2, and I was using a Shure M97xE for a few months. When it was time to upgrade the cartridge I went with a Dynavector 10x5 that I found used here on Audiogon, and I can say first hand that the sound you will get with this cartridge on this turntable is amazing. I can say that the other cartridge I was considering was the Denon DL-103R which I hear compares very favorably.

Obviously you would want to listen to the cartridges in your system, but I know that's not always an option. Since it's not, I thought I'd offer my experience with a cartridge upgrade from the Shure M97xE on this particular table. It's a great turntable, and it really will bring out the best in most cartridges within the right compliance.

-Dusty