Cartridge Setup?

Being a confirmed Audiogonoholic, I love the idea of getting a great deal on a cartridge for my just-acquired turntable rig.I hate the idea of going to a dealer and paying retail for a cartridge. But I'm really nervous about the prospect of setting up my own system. Any thoughts?

Thanks, David
deshapiro

Showing 2 responses by doug28450

Hi David. As stated cartridge setup is not all that difficult. It can be time consuming and somewhat tedious, but it is kind of fun. If you have some basic (small)hand tools and reasonable hand dexterity you can do it yourself. A few years back M. Fremmer published an article in his "Analog Corner" section of stereophile. The article was a step by step and covered two issues. If you can't find it e-mail me and I will be happy to send it to you. Probably the most important thing is to be "of sound mind and body". I usually find that Saturday morning after a good night of rest with a good cup of coffee is the best time to do it (just don't spill the coffee). The other thing you should do is check the setup after about 25-30 hours. Good Luck, Doug
Rwilli6527, I think the Geo-Disc went out of production a year or two back. Try some of the mail-order record oultets. Some suggestions are: ElusiveDisc (www.elusivedisc.com), Acoustic Sounds (www.acousticsounds.com), Music Direct (www.musicdirect.com), Lyle Cartridges and there are some others. As a last resort palce a wanted ad and watch the "for sale" ads. Good Luck. Doug